Season 21/22 Summary

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Season 21/22 Summary

Postby porcupine » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:56 pm

Thought we would at least challenge for a play-off spot, particularly after witnessing a 4-0 to 4-4 fight back at Starks Park in the first game. By late November, early December I'd have bitten your arm off for 42 points and survival in the Championship.

Another Season to Forget. Lightweight players mostly, with a couple of good signings in O'Reilly and Lawson after Christmas. We'll hear ther usual bleats about injuries, Covid, suspensions etc. plus an inherited team from Rice, but we've struggled to compete in most games.

But don't forget, Football sucess for us as Accies supporters matter not a jot to our Colin, as long as it somehow fronts a vehicle for raising income.

Maybe there's a "White Knight" out there somewhere in the world, that can see potential, and will buy the Stadium Company, Deeka, Edencrest and all the other whistles and bells that make up the package, and have real transparent control, without any involvement of existing owners. Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath!!
porcupine
Premiership

Re: Season 21/22 Summary

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:32 pm

The ‘whatever it takes’ strap line was proved to be a very hollow promise. A piece of propaganda worthy of Putin. I think Les’s statement a few years ago that we are a yo yo club in the owners eyes at least is proven. In reality I think they have always assumed it would take at least 3 years to rebuild and challenge for promotion. Add to that the whole precarious financial situation then truth be told 5/6th was always a possibility. I’ve mentioned it previously but the highlight of my season was visiting Gayfield for the first time despite the result. Elsewhere the success of Arbroath, Cove and Kelty reminds me what can be achieved when a club and its community pursue football dreams and not grubby profits to line the pockets of charlatans.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:57 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:Elsewhere the success of Arbroath, Cove and Kelty reminds me what can be achieved when a club and its community pursue football dreams and not grubby profits to line the pockets of charlatans.

Well said, TT.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:59 pm

The season is summed up for me by the fact that I renewed my season ticket and ended up not going to a single match.
Today was sunny, perfect for watching football comfortably and I chose to go for a country walk with my wife rather than watch Accies.
I’ve got out of the habit during Covid and am struggling to enthuse about returning.
I don’t think I’m alone!
Euan
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:09 pm

Eaun, I understand fully. I’ve watched Accies since the 70’s and had my season ticket at NDP since the clubs’ return. But McGowans off the field shenanigans mean I am genuinely thinking of not renewing. I would still go to away games but I have no wish to line that man’s pockets. Of course some will say that by going to away games I’m indirectly doing that but so would probably buying a tenner heroin bag :oops:
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:17 pm

Yeah McGowan and associates are sucking the life and enjoyment out of the Club. The mismanagement and overall embarrassment of his behaviour is off putting to say the least and it’s probably better not to say too much… :roll:
Euan
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:10 am

Sadly it is a self fulfilling prophecy when it comes to the Owners as less folk through the gates means less income for players regardless of who controls the club.

The season panned out as I warned last year and is summed up by me from a comment made by a guy in my street about how far we have sunk in such a short space of time.

Namely the fact he was doing renovation work at the home of a Motherwell Director who told him this seasons top flight is the worst for many years with the worst Motherwell team in 20 years in the top six.He also commented that last seasons Accies side would have survived this season.

This tallies up to with my theory that our refusal "to speculate to accumulate" last January would lead to a massive drop.Let's not forget they only signed Bruce Anderson in a half-hearted attempt at staying up.

This season had the potential for a real catastrophe which has been averted but with big spending Cove,Dundee and others next season, it may get harder.

Report card reads massively underachieved for me with their reliance on youth proving a costly mistake in this league.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:58 pm

1st home game this season yesterday and only other game I went to was auchinleck away.

That performance yesterday was dire and light years away from Neil’s teams and Reid’s. Even canning’s team tried to play out from the back.

Mid table championship fodder is what we’ll be for the foreseeable years with the occasional flirt at relegation to league 1.

Cove coming up is an interesting one if they go full time.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Montrose Week 2 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:42 pm

Big Wurzil wrote:1st home game this season yesterday and only other game I went to was auchinleck away.

That performance yesterday was dire and light years away from Neil’s teams and Reid’s. Even canning’s team tried to play out from the back.

Mid table championship fodder is what we’ll be for the foreseeable years with the occasional flirt at relegation to league 1.

Cove coming up is an interesting one if they go full time.

Spot on Big Wurzil, With the current situation at the club I believe that 8th place is our only target with priority being just to survive in Championship until there is a change upstairs.
I dont anticipate new owners but will be back next season to go through it all again.
Fingers Crossed for a deluded oil rich business group to save us :D
Montrose Week 2
Pub League

Return to The Accies