Brian Rice has left the club

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Brian Rice has left the club

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:05 pm

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brian Rice has left the club

Postby Stevie Clarke » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:14 pm

Strange that he's quit now, after making two good signings last week. But I'm glad, he should have been sacked after losing to Annan and Stranraer. Fanciful talk of Alex Neil by some. He'll be back in the English Championship before too long.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:53 pm

Not sorry to see him go if I am honest, just surprised at the timing. All we need now is to get shot of Beuzellin, god knows how he managed to say there. He should have left last year

I do wish him all the best for the future in whatever he does
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Plump Larkyaccie HAW » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:15 pm

Time fur Canzo to come hame. Was hounded oot by that section A mob but forget aboot them. Come hame Canzo and be a hero
HAW
Plump Larkyaccie HAW
Pub League

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:15 pm

I had harboured the dream that at 4 - 0 down against Raith he would resign but then we miraculously drew. He gave an interview to the Record yesterday in which he talks about this being an important week with trialists coming in, a bounce game coming up against Partick and the club actively looking for a striker. Nothing there to indicate he was contemplating resigning. Something has triggered this and maybe we will find out in due course.

Don’t bet your money on us making an exciting appointment. Usual criteria will apply. He has to be part of the Ronnies’ gang i.e. played for Ronnie somewhere in the past or who Ronnie and Les know as a coach. And he has to be committed to developing yuf oftentimes at the expense of the first teams advancement. Imrie to make a quick return? Boozie to step up? We will find out in due course. Stand by for the usual “we have had over 60 applications crap”

Something in Maitlands response on the club website hints at the reason for leaving

“Whilst it has come as a surprise, we now fully understand his reasoning for leaving at this time, and have, with regret, accepted his resignation.”
Last edited by TerracingTomas on Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Euan » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:18 pm

I wish him well, but after relegation and a poor start to the Championship it’s probably for the best.
He’s a decent coach but better as an assistant than manager.
The strain was showing last season, so he’s possibly decided he’s had enough of the pressure being a manager brings and would rather work behind the scenes.
This is a big decision for Accies. They should be trying to get an experienced manager to stop the downward momentum but I’m concerned it might be a promotion from within the Club.
Euan
Premiership

Postby FergiesBawls » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:32 pm

Maybe he's been gambling again.
FergiesBawls
Pub League

Postby smc4761 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:42 pm

How the feck Boozie is still there is beyond me. Him and Canning were a team and him and Rice were a team, and look how that turned out. 18% win rate for both

Problem is McGowan and Co dont give a feck about the team on the park/fans, and unfortunately will we not get best person for job. Probably Imrie, who has no experience, great guy, good player for us. Ooooh just like Canning and look how that ended

I blame Alex Neil. I think it was a gamble having him appointed as manager, but bloody hell he did brilliantly for us. Mcgowan and Co seem to think, OK its worked before, lets keep doing this.

In this division think you need an experienced man and if board can afford, then get Yogi in or maybe Stevie Aitken
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Jacobsladder1966 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:47 pm

The Board don’t want to spend any money - it will be Bouzy
Jacobsladder1966
Pub League

Postby Gav » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:20 pm

Euan wrote:I wish him well, but after relegation and a poor start to the Championship it’s probably for the best.
He’s a decent coach but better as an assistant than manager.
The strain was showing last season, so he’s possibly decided he’s had enough of the pressure being a manager brings and would rather work behind the scenes.
This is a big decision for Accies. They should be trying to get an experienced manager to stop the downward momentum but I’m concerned it might be a promotion from within the Club.

I don't get this " he is a decent coach". None of the players have improved under him. He is a football dinosaur and we are well shot of him.
Gav
Championship

Postby Red and white hoops » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:17 pm

Get boozy and the sports science department out as well now. Complete overhaul of the coaching staff required.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Bengee » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:07 pm

Stevie G will be looking for a job soon but I would take Yogi.
Bengee
Pub League

Postby Euan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:27 am

Gav wrote:I don't get this " he is a decent coach". None of the players have improved under him. He is a football dinosaur and we are well shot of him.

Odoffin improved enough to go from an unknown at Livi to our best player, Callaghan was quoted as “really enjoying playing under Rice” (still left though), Aaron McGowan really improved in his 2 seasons then left and hardly played, McMann has improved massively over the last couple of seasons (maybe because Dougie isn’t shouting at him). Our problem is players improve then leave at the first opportunity.
He’s not a good manager but he is and has been a decent (not great) coach over his career
Euan
Premiership

Postby Gav » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:14 am

I disagree. Callachan enjoying it does not mean he improved. McGowan's defending was still rank when he left hence why he barely got a game for Killie. McMann was utterly awful last season. It was a fluke Odoffin ended up in midfield. He may well have been as good as that the season before.
Gav
Championship

Postby Euan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Fair enough, I’m not particularly a fan of Rice and happy to see him move on.
Euan
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:06 pm

I looked back at at some of the media coverage when the club knocked back Falkirks’ approach for Rice in May.

This from the Sun:

“ Sunsport understands Rice feels a degree of loyalty to the club who gave him his first head coach’s job in 2019.

Accies stood by him when he admitted a gambling problem a year later and handed him a new contract last month despite their imminent relegation from the Premiership.

Rice said when he agreed his new deal: “I owe this club a huge debt of gratitude.

“If I was at any other club I wouldn't be the head coach any longer - but this is a unique club with fantastic people from the top to the bottom.”

He's understood to be excited at the prospect of a summer re-build with the emphasis on young players like Marley Redfern and Jamie Smith, both of whom made their Accies debuts in Sunday's last-day loss to Kilmarnock.“

I really can’t make a lot of sense out of yesterday’s events.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:19 pm

New supporters association making their view known in the media re Rices’ replacement.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loc ... r-24746083
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Montrose Week 2 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:41 pm

Superb letter , explains the feelings of all fans that I know spot on.
Big chance for the club here.
I hope that Brian is OK & can bounce back from what ever the issue is.
12 home games without a win including first 3 this season tells its own story, Accies are probably the only job where he would not be under pressure with that form.
Strange situation. Hope we get it right.
Montrose Week 2
Pub League

Postby Jacobsladder1966 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:29 pm

So who do we want ?
Jacobsladder1966
Pub League

Postby TerracingTomas » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:20 pm

This is the current list of Scottish managers. To be honest nobody jumps out at me. Stewart Petrie Montrose got mentioned last time and has been mentioned again by some on social media. He’s been at Montrose over 4 years and as I understand it has a good job outside football. My personal choice and I said this last time is Gus McPherson. Very experienced. Was a relative success at Queens Park while they were amateurs developing players and working with a limited budget. Showed his tactical experience last Saturday.

Then there unemployed managers and dark horse candidates. Bottom line we will get who the Board wants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... e_managers
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Next

Return to The Accies