Fans led review of football

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Fans led review of football

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:04 am

This is a link to a BBC article about the fans led review of football in England announced by the UK government post the Super League debacle.

Among the areas being considered are ownership, finance and supporter involvement in the game as well as the need for an independent regulator.

The review will look at ownership models including the german one “ where the 50+1 rule means clubs cannot play in the Bundesliga if one commercial investor owns more than a 49% stake.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56852632

There is a real opportunity here for radical change if the scottish goverment has the balls to follow suite.

To quote Jamie Garragher this week “Football executives always make the mistake of believing they are the most influential force in football. They swiftly realise that without supporters, they are weak and powerless.” Something Accies owners don’t acknowledge or agree with.

To the barricades Accies fans. Viva the revolution the Junta must fall :D
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Re: Fans led review of football

Postby Stodmeister » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:34 am

Stodmeister
Championship

Postby smc4761 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:27 pm

I can remember going to see Accies in mid 70's and crowds then were around 1800 or so, even away support while not great was at least 200+ for most games. Now if we are lucky, we get crowds of 1000 home fans and away games 100 if we are lucky. Why would anyone pay hard earned cash to go and watch the dross on the park

Fans are becoming disillusioned with Canning. The product on the park is dreadful, manager does not inspire confidence at all and before we go on the park, most weeks, we are all already beaten. No fight, no tactics no hope.

That was my comment from 2018 and apart from changing Canning to Rice still holds true

The original comment from Willie Wassle in part, was about our great youth set up, the envy of teams in Scotland

Is it really. How much have we spent on youth set up over the years and for what. How many players have we brought through and sold on. McCarthy and McArthur, Easton , maybe 12 years ago. Docherty a few years ago, maybe Hendrie from about 6 years ago. Thats the only ones I can think we brought through and actually sold for any money. I would imagine that is less than £2 million

Numerous other teams in Scotland have good youth set ups and actually make money from selling some of their players, David Turnbull from Motherwell for example, Worth more than our entire 15 + years for our youth set up

Would love to know how much power is held by Ronnie compared to Gray, Who is pulling the strings, who was stupid enough to give Rice and co a new contract, rewarding failure
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:51 pm

Our pipeline of talent has certainly dried up since the heady days of McCarthy and McArthur.

And it’s fair to say other clubs have caught up with, and arguably overtaken, our model for youth development.

It looks like we’re getting relegated this season, and maybe that’s the catalyst we need for change. It does feel like things have gone a bit stale. But we were bound to go down sooner or later. It’s just disappointing we haven’t had a glorious cup run during our time in the top flight.

Looks like difficult financial times ahead. But we’ll come through them - we always do.

I stand by every word of my 2018 assessment.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:10 pm

As good a place as any to say, that's another cup that is going to be won by a small club or smaller club to the OF...and we go out with a whimper once again. That's why I'll never understand our own fans dismissing the cup. It's because we've never won anything of any note that we've got such a historically poor support. We lack credibility. Still, I expect Motherwel fans are hurting more than us!
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed May 05, 2021 1:06 pm

The Morton Community Trust have completed their takeover of the club and stadium. I was surprised by just how few fans were involved. The trust put the terms of the deal to members and 562 voted in favour and one against. I assume most members participated so surely we could pull together 500 plus members. Mind you they have been dealing with willing sellers. No way would mcgowan allow any deal to include the stadium.

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2021/05/ ... ouncement/
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:24 pm

The ongoing review of English football has published an update in the form of a letter to the culture minister. Long way to go yet but some of their thinking particularly around fan influencing looks interesting if it comes to fruition. Detailed BBC article below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57929695

Particularly keen to see what happens in relation to

A new independent regulator to address issues that are most relevant to the risks to the game, especially financial regulation, corporate governance and ownership.
Further work over the summer to ensure greater fan engagement and influence at all levels of governance in the game.
Greater protection for important club assets such as badges, location and colours, through a 'golden share' for supporters that provides them with veto powers.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:48 pm

I thought it worth bringing this thread to the fore again. We have yet to to see the final outcome of their deliberations but if ever there was ever a clear cut example of ‘owners’ looking after their own pockets then what’s happening at Hamilton is the perfect example. To quote the man himself. “I don’t like football. I’ve only ever been to one away game. I love the youth academy and the business of football intrigues me.” Still time Scottish Government to carry out a fans led review of Scottish football.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:22 pm

The fans led review of football governance in England and Wales has now reported. Prompted by the breakaway European super league it is also intended to address the misuse/abuse of lower league clubs like Oldham, Bury etc. Not perfect I’m sure but I wouldn’t knock back some of its recommendations given the current Accies situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/5940608

What is being recommended?
The report makes 47 recommendations, which are summed up in 10 major points:
* The government should create a new independent regulator (IREF)
* IREF should oversee financial regulation in football
* IREF should establish new owners' and directors' tests
* A new corporate governance code should be set up
* Equality, diversity and inclusion plans should be mandatory for all clubs
* Supporters should be consulted on all key off-field decisions through a 'shadow board'
* Key items of club heritage should be protected by a 'golden share' for fans

* There should be more support from the Premier League to the pyramid through a solidarity transfer levy, paid by Premier League clubs on buying players from overseas or other top-flight clubs
* Women's football should be treated equally and given its own review
* Stakeholders should work to increase protection of welfare of players leaving the game
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Return to The Accies