Penalty Box - Encroachment Rule Change?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Penalty Box - Encroachment Rule Change?

Postby porcupine » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:14 pm

With another couple of weeks to fill in, and no transfer activity to talk about, here's another subject for discussion.

I remember we had a perfectly good penalty disallowed due to players of both sides encroaching into the box before our player hit the penalty kick. Against Rangers, from memory?

Watching both MOTD last night and also African Cup games today, referees don't seem to bother with this now.

Q. Has there been a rule change I have missed?
porcupine
Premiership

Re: Penalty Box - Encroachment Rule Change?

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:11 pm

porcupine wrote:With another couple of weeks to fill in, and no transfer activity to talk about, here's another subject for discussion.

I remember we had a perfectly good penalty disallowed due to players of both sides encroaching into the box before our player hit the penalty kick. Against Rangers, from memory?

Watching both MOTD last night and also African Cup games today, referees don't seem to bother with this now.

Q. Has there been a rule change I have missed?

The one I remember was against Killie in what ended up being our last relegation season. We were 2-0 up and drew 2-2. Not sure what the score was at the penalty, but a player from both sides encroached by several yards and the ref, I think correctly, awarded a re-take which we missed. I say correctly, but you rarely saw it, then and now. AFAIK, there has been no rule change, refs just don't bother. What are the linesmen doing, it's why they stand there in the first place? I remember BBC analysed the penalty but the camera didn't show the Killie player, just our player, and he was even nearer the taker! The Rangers one I recall was at Ibrox when Cerny was ridiculously far off his line. Again, sometimes they get away with it, even when it's a couple of yards but not Accies.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Re: Penalty Box - Encroachment Rule Change?

Postby accies1874 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:19 am

It was the other way around. Cerny saved the penalty at 2-0 (from Jamie Hammill, I think), but they scored from the retake.
accies1874
Premiership

Return to The Accies