Training Dome

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Training Dome

Postby glenthedog » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:22 pm

With all the recent talk about how well Iceland have done with their indoor facilities to assist their development process, is it a case that the Accies dome project has officially been dumped? I'd heard the talk of it costing upwards of 1 million quid, but you can buy an inflatable dome that can be put up in winter and taken down in the summer. Costs for something that would cover our 'training' pitch at the Sainsbury's end comes in around £30K and has approx an 8 year lifespan:

http://covair.co.uk

Not a bad investment, and it can loaded up onto a couple of pallets and stored over the summer.
glenthedog
Pub League

Re: Training Dome

Postby Alfie Olek » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:15 pm

For all the blaze of publicity surrounding the Dome the club has gone remarkably quiet. Last time I checked they hadn’t even applied for planning permission. The one thing Les made quite clear recently, rather petulantly IMO, was that at no time did anyone from the club say it was for training purposes. The dome was to be a mini entertainment cum concert venue. As others have pointed out why would you need this when the Town Hall is less than half a mile away. Anyway clearly they jumped the gun with their announcement and whether we get a Dome or not who cares I’d rather have a reliable goalscorer 8-)
Alfie Olek

Postby porcupine » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Les mentioned at the recent lunch/fans meeting that any dome would not cost more than £70/£80K.

As I understood it, there was no commitment to be either having a dome erected, or the project dumped. but the intention was for it to be used for training, rather than be spending monies on facilities at the Palace grounds or at Ravenscraig, Motherwell.

I had the impression that the clube would rather spend any 'dome' funds on the team itself at present. Anyone who was there have any different take? :?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Alfie Olek » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:23 pm

In October Ronnie was interviewed for Off the Ball and quote one poster

Ronnie is on Off the Ball and spoke about the potential plans the club have to enclose the pitch at the Sainsbury's end to create an Accies Dome; circa cost of £1.5m.

The link is there to the interview. Whether it works I,m not sure but it's a sorry state of affairs when Ronnie/Les change their stories depending on the phase of the moon.
Alfie Olek

Postby Alfie Olek » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

And this is a copy of a post I made in June quoting Les from the Hamilton Advertiser interview and the story that appeared in the evening Times when the story broke.

Les is in the Advertiser seemingly reinterpreting the Dome project. Doesn’t understand where the talk of a ‘training dome’ amongst hamilton supporters has come from. There is no need for a training dome, plenty of facilities nearby. “Were not spending any money on a dome”. The covered area was all to do with our community and charity work, which we may still look at, but it isn’t a football issue.

The original story was in the Evening Times last year and I quote:

The project will see a 500-seat arena erected behind the goal to the right of the main stand and could lead to the club hosting boxing bouts and concerts.

The canvas-roofed dome will be at the heart of Hamilton's interaction with the local community and chairman Les Gray said: "There will not be anything like it in Scotland.

"It will be a substantial investment. We have got the plans drawn and we are applying for various support and grants. We don't have a final price yet.

"It is an indoor facility for community use and we can host boxing matches, concerts and things like that as well.

"This project will benefit the community and make the club the focal point of the communi

Don’t doubt your recall of what was said Porcupine but its all as clear as mud.
Alfie Olek

Postby porcupine » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:30 am

YUP! Too many conflicting stories. No idea either!!!
porcupine
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:19 am

Would be good if we could cover behind the goal and the blanks next to the 'east stand'

The stadium just doesn't seem complete so i would welcome the dome.

As for the east stand get some scaffolding like there was behind the goal before, but sponsors etc on it could even hang the Pride Of Lanarkshire flag etc
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Return to The Accies