Danny Armstrong released!

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Danny Armstrong released!

Postby Whiskeytown » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:06 pm

I can't get to the U20 matches but I've heard only good things about Armstrong so I'm totally shocked we have released him. I watched the footage of the recent game at Perth and he looked great, set up a goal and scored. I really thought he was the next one on the conveyor belt along with Steven Boyd. Perhaps some regular u20 watchers can give some input.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Re: Danny Armstrong released!

Postby Hooper » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:17 pm

Yeah mate he is a good player one of a few including Boyd want Reilly tiernay hughes to name a few it is a surprise he is away
Hooper
Seaside Leagues

Postby cdisaaccie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:21 pm

Quite possibly his own choice to move rather than Accies releasing him - same with MacDonald as both were under contract til end of the season.
cdisaaccie
Pub League

Postby Whiskeytown » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:28 pm

Very odd given that he's only 17 and was in the squad last week at Inverness. He has plenty of time on his side. Maybe he feels he should be getting first team football. That was Hopkirk's downfall apparently and he lost two years of his career in the lower leagues and is only now coming back up the way with Dunfermline.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby simonswimmer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:08 pm

Has always been the standout player in any of the under 20s games I've seen. Curious to find out why he's been released but may be off to somewhere like Aberdeen or Hearts (wild speculation). A big loss in my opinion.
simonswimmer
Pub League

Postby Alfie Olek » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:21 pm

Thats 4 players released in the last week, 3 of who were under 20’s or were very recently. Certainly Elzoubaidi gave the impression he asked away as he wanted first team action. Even so the club have obviously decided that these players are not going to feature in the first team anytime soon or generate transfer fees.
Alfie Olek

Postby Hooper » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:27 pm

cdisaaccie wrote:Quite possibly his own choice to move rather than Accies releasing him - same with MacDonald as both were under contract til end of the season.

Can't be is own choice mate as players his age can't just leave there is development fees etc in place he has been let go but there is 100% more to it all the best to him Goodlad and good player
Hooper
Seaside Leagues

Postby WILF » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Surprised, he looked a cracking prospect.
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Postby accies1874 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:19 pm

Can't get along to any u20s games either but, like you, I've heard outstanding praise. Can only presume it was his decision.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Hooper » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:29 pm

It can't be his desicion lads his age aren't like seasoned pros they can't just leave because of development fees etc so he has been released
Hooper
Seaside Leagues

Postby accies1874 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:34 pm

Hooper wrote:It can't be his desicion lads his age aren't like seasoned pros they can't just leave because of development fees etc so he has been released

Definitely a strange one then!
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Hooper » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:53 pm

Yeah I agree unless there is something fly going on
Hooper
Seaside Leagues

Postby NDP regular » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:18 am

asked someone in the club about all this. his reply was all 4 had asked to go due to opportunities they had else where and the club had granted their release. he went on to say the club had changed focus and were looking for senior players ready made for first team level just now. also bar 2 or 3 of our u20 players whoever had asked to go would probably have been allowed to go as they had to many and only required enough to make up the numbers for the 20s games. stated it was very difficult to develop boys in the spl and focus would change back if we ever get relegated. shame as these 4 are good players with Armstrong, Zubaidi and Harrison having all represented their countries and MacDonald was still young and maybe could have kicked on with games. however we have brought in some very good players and it looks like the best way to go for us to stay in the top league and we may unearth a few gems from abroad. best of luck to the boys leaving us.
NDP regular
Pub League

Postby Hooper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:07 pm

NDP regular wrote:asked someone in the club about all this. his reply was all 4 had asked to go due to opportunities they had else where and the club had granted their release. he went on to say the club had changed focus and were looking for senior players ready made for first team level just now. also bar 2 or 3 of our u20 players whoever had asked to go would probably have been allowed to go as they had to many and only required enough to make up the numbers for the 20s games. stated it was very difficult to develop boys in the spl and focus would change back if we ever get relegated. shame as these 4 are good players with Armstrong, Zubaidi and Harrison having all represented their countries and MacDonald was still young and maybe could have kicked on with games. however we have brought in some very good players and it looks like the best way to go for us to stay in the top league and we may unearth a few gems from abroad. best of luck to the boys leaving us.

If true that us very sad to ditch youth like that when we are a team supposedly focused on youth ?
Very short sighted by the club particularly as the most of these lads are very young still and cost the club very little money
Hooper
Seaside Leagues

Postby Whiskeytown » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:40 pm

If we are shifting away from youth it seems strange as the likes of Docherty, Lyon, Boyd, Watson and McMann have got game time in the Premier. Surely it was only a matter of time before we saw Armstrong get a few minutes from the bench and maybe a full appearance come the end of the season. To grow the club and push on we probably do have to concentrate more on senior pros, like Ross County are doing, and if it gets us top six, a cup final place or even Europe who will be complaining? But it remains a bit of a shame if we are changing our ethos. And I hope there is never any question of the board favouring relegation just so we can start it up again. Young players should still get a chance but if we are ditching the likes of Armstrong then there can't be much hope for the rest of them. The youngsters may lose motivation if they now can no longer see much prospect of reaching the first team.

Also, with Macdonald leaving are we not a bit short for cover for left back. Ziggy can play there but if he moves across we might lose Gillespie from midfield as he would likely go to right back.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Not concerned about this. Young players will still get game time I expect to see Boyd, Watson, Lyon etc at some point this season. If they impress then they will get more game time, which is good motivation for them.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Alfie Olek » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:58 pm

asked someone in the club about all this. his reply was all 4 had asked to go due to opportunities they had else where and the club had granted their release. he went on to say the club had changed focus and were looking for senior players ready made for first team level just now.

Until I see it in writing from Ronnie/Les I take this with a pinch of salt. Our focus or strategy hasn’t changed from the last time we were in the Premiership. Was it our last season or middle season when we seemed to be signing senior players left right and centre, both home based and foreign. The ‘shotgun' approach as it was known :) This time around we have signed a fair number again but judging by performance to date we have brought in some quality whereas the last time most were dross. As for our youth system, we have brought a few into the first team such as docherty and watson and brought another batch from the under 17’s into the under 20’s. We have just put Watson out on loan to Arbroath to join Andy Ryan. As for those released its that time of the season when having done our transfer business we have taken stock (every club does it) as have some of the players. They have seen that their chances of regular first team football are slim and have asked to go and the club has agreed. I don’t think that means that all of a sudden our youth strategy has gone out the window. Yes its a bit more difficult to bring young players into the first team at this level but not impossible. Dundee United seem to manage it. Which is why putting player out on loan to clubs in the leagues below us becomes more important. I called for investment in the first team squad but not at expense of youth and I think so far we are managing it.
Alfie Olek

Postby Whiskeytown » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:17 pm

I've heard today that Danny has signed a three year deal with Wolves. This whole thing is very odd. A top young player gets a great move like that and presumably we get zilch. Seems he was released because so many other clubs were interested. Glad we never did that with McCarthy!
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby H9crx » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:19 pm

http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article/ne ... 68667.aspx

Says his release was agreed in the summer
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Firstly it's a great move for him - effectively a 4 year deal with an established English Championship team who should be pushing for a place in the Premier League, again hard to see how the club can deny him that chance but that article on Wolves site does seem strange as it appears to tell us that Wolves "secured the release" from Accies but did that before "he had made the decision where he wanted to go". You would think that securing the release would be done with some financial settlement to Accies but would Wolves part with their cash with the risk that he could still choose to go elsewhere?

Very strange.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Return to The Accies