Dilema - Motherwell or Rangers ?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Dilema - Motherwell or Rangers ?

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Would rather visit and play Motherwell than Rangers; but perhaps Rangers coming back is inevitable; whilst the chance to see the Well in the second tier is a sight that many Accies fans have never seen?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Re: Dilema - Motherwell or Rangers ?

Postby glasgow accie » Sun May 24, 2015 9:32 pm

Won't give any money to the tribute act even though Ibrox is literally accross the road from me , but Motherwell going down every time...they have dodged the bullet too many times before .

Oh , and it also means , WE ARE the pride of Lanarkshire ;)
When Saturday comes...WE ARE HAMILTON........136
glasgow accie
Championship

Postby accies1874 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:36 pm

I change my mind whenever I think about it. I can't be bothered with the Scottish media wetting themselves that they have their beloved OF "back" but seeing Motherwell go down would be magic and if they stay up then it makes our relegation songs a bit embarrassing.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Whiskeytown » Sun May 24, 2015 9:47 pm

It's a win-win either way and really, the perfect play off final. No one hates new Rangers more than me but it is inevitable that they will be back sooner or later. I've given up hoping for a third incarnation. But Well down, probably behind Hibs next season and maybe staying down for a wee while, is a delicious prospect. I honestly think Rangers will win easily, 4-0 or 4-1 on aggregate..
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun May 24, 2015 10:38 pm

The Well,lesser of 2 evils.An away day to Fir Park is infinitely more preferable than listening to thousands of bigots calling you all names under the sun while you watch every refereeing decision go against the team.Add in the fact,9/10 times Rangers will finish above us and it's a no brainer for me.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Sun May 24, 2015 10:41 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:The Well,lesser of 2 evils.An away day to Fir Park is infinitely more preferable than listening to thousands of bigots calling you all names under the sun while you watch every refereeing decision go against the team.Add in the fact,9/10 times Rangers will finish above us and it's a no brainer for me.

This ^^
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Sun May 24, 2015 11:22 pm

I think Motherwell have a great chance of staying up.

Hibs played better football over the two legs than Rangers but just couldn't score the goals.

I hope Motherwell stay up because the sideshow that comes with the artist formerly known as Rangers is too much for me......
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby simonswimmer » Sun May 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Would definitely rather see Motherwell stay up. Accies v Motherwell is a far more interesting fixture to look forward to. There's a proper rivalry there now, would be a shame to miss out on that next season.
simonswimmer
Pub League

Postby NaeVay » Sun May 24, 2015 11:41 pm

Hope the Well stay up too. Would rather have the Lanarkshire derbies and the chance to trounce them at Fir Park again rather than have the Premiership become the Celtic and Rangers show again.

Sadly I think it's inevitable that Rangers will once again infect the top league with their bile and their ill gotten sense of worthiness and entitlement. Shame.
NaeVay
Seaside Leagues

Postby Yer Sisters Yer Maw » Mon May 25, 2015 12:35 am

Anyone but the tribute act.
Yer Sisters Yer Maw
Seaside Leagues

Postby Working for Cunard » Mon May 25, 2015 5:46 am

The Well any day. Can't stand the superiority of the fans of the OF - and coming into the SPL for the first time, the The Rangers fans would be beyond unbearable.
Working for Cunard
Seaside Leagues

Postby AmanAccie » Mon May 25, 2015 10:15 am

Rangers coming up is inevitable but the chances of Motherwell taking the drop if they stay up this season are slim. Get them tae fuck. Smelly bastards! We're the Pride of Lanarkshire!
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby cdisaaccie » Mon May 25, 2015 10:45 am

Whilst it would have been amusing to see Motherwell go down if the final was against Hibs or QoS at least their fans chose not to support one of the Old Firm.

For that I give the Well much more respect than I do The Rangers (or Celtic for that matter)
I'd rather we kept our derbies then have the spectre of both sides of the OF in the same league again taking up all the media space.

I want Motherwell to stay up.
cdisaaccie
Pub League

Postby Chase Outlaw » Mon May 25, 2015 11:13 am

Motherwell everyday of the week for me.Looking at the prices online 4/7 The Rangers,5/4 Motherwell generally.Suggests there are dark forces at work because as dire as Motherwell were last season they are miles ahead of Sevco.
Chase Outlaw
Seaside Leagues

Postby saturdaysanny » Mon May 25, 2015 11:39 am

Close call but for me I would prefer to see Motherwell go down.

Too many years of patronized by Well fans who still think of Airdrie as their main rivals.

Over the years I have worked alongside a good number of Hamiltonians who have who have chosen to follow Motherwell on the basis that they played at a higher level than Accies.

If there is a chance that a prolonged period in the championship could drain some of their support, that can only be good for Accies.
saturdaysanny
Pub League

Postby Bluesy » Mon May 25, 2015 11:49 am

Motherwell to stay up for me!
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Whiskeytown » Mon May 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Chase Outlaw wrote:Motherwell everyday of the week for me.Looking at the prices online 4/7 The Rangers,5/4 Motherwell generally.Suggests there are dark forces at work because as dire as Motherwell were last season they are miles ahead of Sevco.

Really? New Rangers have already beaten Inverness and St Johnstone this season and although they have had comical results against the likes of Alloa (4 times!) and Livi, they tend to raise their game when it matters. Hibs were better but Rangers dug in and found a way to win. I think Motherwell need to raise their game here, if they find the form that beat us 4-0 and St Mirren 5-0, they might do it. I'm swithering now, maybe will cheer for Well after all.

Prices are such because of the weight of bets on Rangers. Rangers are on form, Well are not.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon May 25, 2015 1:16 pm

saturdaysanny wrote:Close call but for me I would prefer to see Motherwell go down.

Too many years of patronized by Well fans who still think of Airdrie as their main rivals.

Over the years I have worked alongside a good number of Hamiltonians who have who have chosen to follow Motherwell on the basis that they played at a higher level than Accies.

If there is a chance that a prolonged period in the championship could drain some of their support, that can only be good for Accies.

^^^ This.

I'm one of those old enough to have seen us play Motherwell in the second tier (3-2 win from 0-2 at halftime at ODP). But I think I'm right in saying Motherwell have never been a division below us. That would be one for the record books.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Alfie Olek » Mon May 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Sorry Willie, Season 1953/54 we were in the old first division and Motherwell were in the Second. The scenario lasted one season only as Motherwell won the second division and we were relegated. That's the only occasion I can find.
Alfie Olek

Postby L12Comical » Mon May 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Tough one this, but I'd rather Motherwell stayed up - mainly on the grounds that I can see us finishing above them - I think this would be more likely than us finishing above Rangers. For all their financial difficulties, I suspect the muscle of their gate receipts will have an impact.

Willie mentioned the comeback against Motherwell at ODP (79/80?) - If I remember correctly, round about the same time we were 3-1 down to Airdrie and came back and won 4-3. Jim Frew sent off and a big fight between Gary McDowall and Airdrie goalkeeper Ernie McGarr at the final whistle. Happy days!
L12Comical
Pub League

Next

Return to The Accies