Accies v St Mirren

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Accies v St Mirren

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat May 23, 2015 9:46 am

Nice to finish with a wee win - and it might set the tome for certain posting habits for the whole close season (or maybe not) :)

Last game for Stephen Hendrie - who for me has never been as popular as he should have been; he's been a great find for us and played since he was only a boy; gave us loads of games and then a big cheque at the end - what's not to like?

Seeing St Mirren off the to the championship and with maybe Motherwell to follow :lol:
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Re: Accies v St Mirren

Postby hamilton1 » Sat May 23, 2015 10:40 am

Hopefully a win. Great chance to integrate the youth players and give Brophy another start. A decent crowd would be nice considering the weather :D Great day for a game of football. Lets enjoy the game, laugh at St mirren and give the players a good send off at the end of the game.

Mon the accies! im going for 2 Nil.
hamilton1
Pub League

Postby Alfie Olek » Sat May 23, 2015 11:41 am

Strange one this for Saint Mirren with Teale still on the touchline despite not getting the job. Difficult to tell how their players will react. Impress the new manager in waiting or try and win it for the old boss? All we can do is get on with our game. No Hasselbank or McKinnon. Give Jason the first 45 then Brophy the last. Its been a long season and I am looking forward to chilling outso can we have a win please?
Alfie Olek

Postby Whiskeytown » Sat May 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Dull game, turgid at times. Brightened up towards end of first half when they hit the bar from a great free kick and minutes later big Jesus hit the post with one of his specials. His overall play was good and his long range passing at times superb. Probably our best player but hard to argue with Greg Docherty, who looked very tidy. Ali out of sorts for most of the game I thought but still looked our most threatening player and scored a cracker. Need to get big Lucas signed up, if he's not already. Imrie and Gillespie very frustrating when you know they can do so much better. Macdonald looks a good left back and young Lyon was fine again. McMann came on and did well but Boyd was a little disappointing. Brophy not suited to one up front and did very little. Good to finish with 15 wins and 50 goals. Dreading the summer though and worried for next season already!
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Alfie Olek » Sat May 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Typical end of season game. needed Jason to come on and set up Ali for the goal although the BBC credit Imrie with the assist even though he was off the field. Interesting that Hendrie was out of contract and couldn't play What if we needed to win the last game to avoid relegation/play off and he was a crucial part of the team. anyway off to enjoy the close season and see what 15/16 brings. a long hard season me thinks.
Alfie Olek

Postby hamilton1 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:03 pm

I think thats a bit harsh on gillespie. I thought he had a solid game in the defensive midfield role and won many tackles. Hard to disagree about imrie, sadly it did not happen for him today. Crawford i felt was one of the best players on the pitch. he was constantly linking up play and getting chances (although i agree he should of done better) and obviously scoring an outstanding goal.

One thing is for sure, we cant fault the effort from the team today, defence was absolutely solid, i felt jesus and lucas had great games, with macdonald impressing at times with his touch and pace.

A big well done to docherty who never looked out of place and won man of the match. He looks a promising player, hopefully gets a chance next season.

considering we had MacKinnon, Devlin, ziggy and redmond out i felt we done pretty well (Although i have to agree at times the game was very dull) But that was expected when none of the teams have nothing to play for.
hamilton1
Pub League

Postby Euan » Sat May 23, 2015 10:17 pm

Enjoyed the game for what it was, no pressure on the team and nice day.
Very impressed with Docherty and Lucas.
Hopefully most of that team will be here next season...if so with a couple of additions for depth we should do ok in a tougher league with hearts and rangers to play.
Euan
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sat May 23, 2015 11:41 pm

Poor game but nice to go out on a win. What a season Crawford's had. Wasn't his best today but being our top scorer (that's still here), playing every match and scoring our first and last league goals and much more proves his progression from last season.
Docherty and Lucas were the best players on the park and I hope both secure their place next season.
A summer of much transition methinks. First team players like Hendrie, Scotland and Hasselbaink leaving and a few younger ones coming through is promising but it's shame we don't have the right man to lead us.
Ziggy, Crawford or McGovern could be sold and I think a few will be released such as MacKinnon or maybe even Redmond.
Lyon and MacDonald have a lot to learn but show lots of potential and could hopefully progress into solid full backs. Docherty is the only younger player I can see maybe becoming a regular next season.
At least one striker is needed as we only have one (Andy Ryan is a winger, in my opinion) and Brophy might even be off.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun May 24, 2015 1:01 am

We played good football in spells,but no cutting edge.Would only take 3 good signings to easily guarantee top six next season.

Over to the board now to see who we get in.Two strikers needed for me,a starter and a good back up.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby DC United » Sun May 24, 2015 1:24 am

Played well in the first half and clearly the better team. Poor second half, however picked up towards the end and won the game with a well taken goal. A game that summed up our season overall?

Good to finish the season with a win given how the season went. If we don't lose any of our key players in the off season I'd like to see us add a better left back (I think McDonald will do as a back up with some potential), a battling, box to box midfielder (Chris Turner?), a winger to match Imrie and a couple of strikers.

If you offered me a 7th place finish next season I'd bite your hand off for it.
DC United
Pub League

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Nice end to the season and the usual committed and loyal Accies fans are avoiding saying anything on a winning match thread :lol:
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Gaspode » Sun May 24, 2015 1:46 pm

Not the best game but we were always in control. Docherty played very well as did Lucas and I think yesterday showed that Brophy still has a wee bit to go before he is 1st choice striker.
Gaspode
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun May 24, 2015 1:49 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and would have said the same if it finished 0-0, but justice was done and the better team won.

Their cracking free kick that rattled the bar in the first half was the only real chance they had. We also hit the woodwork in a half we dominated, and I was amazed it took so long before Ally Crawford's persistent shooting paid off. It was nice to see Ally end the season with a great game-winning goal, and I hope he's around for another season at NDP. As others have pointed out, we're in danger of being raided for McGovern, Gordon and Crawford - and only injury keeps Devlin off that list (I hear he's out till Xmas).

I was very impressed by Docherty, who scarcely put a foot wrong, and was deservedly named MOTM by an unusually perceptive sponsor (Cullen, of course). I expect Docherty to be a fixture in our first XI next year.

A great season after all. A shame we couldn't win a game earlier on Canning's watch, as just one earlier win would have secured top six. But our second seventh place finish in five years is heady stuff for a club that's twice nearly gone out of existence in my lifetime, and has easily the smallest fanbase and finances in the top flight. It's a great time to be following Accies.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun May 24, 2015 3:15 pm

Guys like Teale, Goodwin and Thomson would appear to be the kind of experienced, well rewarded players that we need , or some go further and say a couple of such players and we are guaranteed top six etc etc? Guys like Kello, Tesselaar and Dayton are probably also well rewarded by our standards as well.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby simonswimmer » Sun May 24, 2015 11:31 pm

Thought this was a decent game. Accies dominated. Greg Docherty, Longridge and Crawford were standouts for me. Wanted to see Daniel Armstrong get a run out though. He's looked great in the few under 20s games I've seen this year. Expect him to feature heavily next season.
simonswimmer
Pub League

Return to The Accies