New Signings

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

New Signings

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:56 am

Now the season is limping to an end,it is time to cast eyes on targets for next season.What positions need filled and who should we go for?

One thing is for sure,the mistakes of the last 3-4 months can't be repeated.New and ambitious signings are a must to improve the team,to improve morale amongst the fans and to ensure season tickets are sold.

For me,an attacking central midfielder,2 strikers and a winger are required.As long as we don't lose players a few good signings will get us top six.It's galling to see St.Johnstone-a side we had the measure of- fighting for Europe.Ditto Dundee.

Doing nothing in the market is not an option.I think the board know this and we all await developments.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Re: New Signings

Postby H9crx » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:21 am

THIS ^^^^^^^

We cannot wait until the day before the start to bring in new players ALA Billy R. I saw that De Vita will be out of contract. We need someone like MAC big and willing to run and Hassel a back 4 when they have the ball.

Someone said we could have wasted 100k on LOY and got 0 goals! This would have been better than signing Hasselbank who was unfit and has contributed 0 goals and has contributed nothing to the team. LOY may not have scored any goals the comitment to get him would have been contribution enough to the squad competitiveness.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby AmanAccie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:48 am

With regards Loy, I think it's obvious that even 150,000 wouldn't have bought him as he was always going to Dundee. That's the thing it's all well and good saying we need to get players but it's finding players that are willing to come here for less wages than they would get at every other team in the league. I'd take Josh Maggenis but I don't think he would come to Accies and he's not even that great. I want to see Wesolowski back at Accies next season. He's been out since January but should be ready, Shrewsbury have won promotion so there's every chance he could get released. We need that type of player in the middle of the park.
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Alfie Olek » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:56 pm

Dundee are well ahead of the game. As well as signing Loy they have agreed pre contracts with Nicky Low from Aberdeen, a midfielder, and Meggatt from Alloa, a fullback. All young players with potential like Stewart who they got from Cowdenbeath. Their strategy is presumably if we can’t grow our own then identify young talent from the teams. As previously discussed the Board failed to reenforce in january so we need 2 strikers (assuming Brophy is off), and a strong creative midfielder like Alex. There may be enough defensive talent on the books so that may not be a priority. Martin needs to decide whether he is playing or not. I would hope we do our business as early as possible. We will probably lose 2/3 in the summer but i assume some of that money will be added to the player budget? (Unless we are going to build an inflatable fan base to fill the empty seats.) if we haven’t identified targets by now then something is wrong and if we revert to the shotgun approach with a succession of individuals coming through the doors then my suspicion that Ronnie/les are more than happy being a yo/yo club is confirmed.
Alfie Olek

Postby Yer Sisters Yer Maw » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:57 pm

I reckon Crawford will be offski in the summer, some very good performances for us this season. If so then hopefully a healthy transfer fee comes in from a club down South, so getting a creative midfielder to replace him plus a proven goalscorer that fits into our system with Brophy providing competition. If Canning is to stay on as manager I'd prefer that he only picks himself as cover with full concentration on managing the team.
Yer Sisters Yer Maw
Seaside Leagues

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Yer Sisters Yer Maw wrote:I reckon Crawford will be offski in the summer, some very good performances for us this season. If so then hopefully a healthy transfer fee comes in from a club down South, so getting a creative midfielder to replace him plus a proven goalscorer that fits into our system with Brophy providing competition. If Canning is to stay on as manager I'd prefer that he only picks himself as cover with full concentration on managing the team.

Brophy away at the end of the season. He is out of Contract and I have heard its between Celtic/Hearts/Aberdeen for him.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:42 pm

Dundee can offer double wages for players we both have an interest in. I don't know what the multiplication factor would be for clubs like St J, Killie, Partick etc but they can out spend us - particularly in January when panic sets in. These clubs have more fans so more money follows.

That said; we need to find our place in the market and out spend clubs below us and bring players on to over deliver - we need to provide a reasonable platform on which to bring through youth. Not sure we can afford 2 strikers, we need just the right one - like MAC was for us three times but many people slagged him off. If Brophy stays I would like to see him go to the first division for 6 months and then back to compete in the premier - other clubs will give him more money but opportunity in the team is another question - still we will get cash for him.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Alfie Olek » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:58 pm

These clubs have more fans so more money follows.

Yes they do but then they haven’t earned between 6 to 8 million in transfer fees in the last few years. We have cleared the debt, put down 2 artificial pitches and undersoil heating and have the money for a plastic dome. If we get 6 figures in the summer for players it is not unreasonable to finance some 2 years deals.
Alfie Olek

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Alfie Olek wrote:
These clubs have more fans so more money follows.

Yes they do but then they haven’t earned between 6 to 8 million in transfer fees in the last few years. We have cleared the debt, put down 2 artificial pitches and undersoil heating and have the money for a plastic dome. If we get 6 figures in the summer for players it is not unreasonable to finance some 2 years deals.

I am sure a potion of the money will just have gone on the running expenses of the whole operation. But 2 year deals will be on the table, but it will be the wages that will be the stumbling block potentially. You can perhaps push the boat out a wee bit but if some players are on more than double then the whole wage structure perhaps comes under pressure and perhaps pushes towards unsustainable levels. Its a fine balancing act; which for me doesn't include £150k for someone worth zilch within months or indeed double our normal structure for someone such as the 'quality' of Loy.
Of course the balance is money spent on Nigel for pretty much no return and money on Scotland which is no investment at all. Its all in the balance and the one thin we struggle as fans to understand is all the detail, complexity and dark arts of footballing transfers.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Scott18 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:36 am

someone asked on twitter not long ago about Brophy and apparently Brophy signed new deal when Neil was manager so he is signed until 2016
Scott18
Seaside Leagues

Postby hamilton1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:53 pm

Scott18 wrote:someone asked on twitter not long ago about Brophy and apparently Brophy signed new deal when Neil was manager so he is signed until 2016

yep saw on scotts twitter someone asked about it and looks like brophy has got a contract till 2016. Brilliant news if he is staying. Still struggling to see how he hasn't got a decent start but. Unless a transfer fee has been agreed for the summer.
hamilton1
Pub League

Postby hamilton1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:01 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:Now the season is limping to an end,it is time to cast eyes on targets for next season.What positions need filled and who should we go for?

One thing is for sure,the mistakes of the last 3-4 months can't be repeated.New and ambitious signings are a must to improve the team,to improve morale amongst the fans and to ensure season tickets are sold.

For me,an attacking central midfielder,2 strikers and a winger are required.As long as we don't lose players a few good signings will get us top six.It's galling to see St.Johnstone-a side we had the measure of- fighting for Europe.Ditto Dundee.

Doing nothing in the market is not an option.I think the board know this and we all await developments.

For me we need a significant amount of signings. we need a left back to replace Hendrie with Macdonald as cover. we need a midfielder to take Neils role. we need 1 or 2 strikers, someone that can hold up the ball. and we need a winger. if canning is continuing as manager then we need a Centre back.. assuming Lucas doesnt renew his deal. The main thing is bringing in experience, we need a leader on the pitch. Also we need to keep our main players.. granted we cant hold them back but hopefully we dont sell them all at one time, its going to be hard to keep hold of ziggy, devlin in crawford in my opinion.
hamilton1
Pub League

Postby Davidson1874 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:50 pm

Just asked Eamonn Brophy on Twitter, he has 1 year left.
Davidson1874
Pub League

Postby hamilton1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:58 pm

Davidson1874 wrote:Just asked Eamonn Brophy on Twitter, he has 1 year left.

Excellent! now lets hope the boy gets his chance!
hamilton1
Pub League

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:50 pm

For me the number 1 priority is a striker to replace MAC. A striker who can play 1 up and can hold the play up and allow our midfielders to get into the game. The right player in this position is perhaps the hardest position to find and hence why it should be our priority.

Elsewhere, well that's the lower leagues finished and having picked up Imrie and Macdonald last season we should have been looking to pick up what we can from that area either a young player like MacDonald (who looks promising) or journeyman like Dougie who can more than do a job at our level. Not sure if there are any options or quality in the relegated, or likely to be relegated, teams ? And whilst I understand there is a tendency to not pay wages during the close season and to wait until nearer the season starting to pick up players but I think this needs to be looked at and considered if it is a sensible saving or missing the boat.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:40 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:For me the number 1 priority is a striker to replace MAC. A striker who can play 1 up and can hold the play up and allow our midfielders to get into the game. The right player in this position is perhaps the hardest position to find and hence why it should be our priority.

Elsewhere, well that's the lower leagues finished and having picked up Imrie, McGovern and Macdonald last season we should have been looking to pick up what we can from that area either a young player like MacDonald (who looks promising) or 'journeyman' like Dougie who can more than do a job at our level. Not sure if there are any options or quality in the relegated, or likely to be relegated, teams ? And whilst I understand there is a tendency to not pay wages during the close season and to wait until nearer the season starting to pick up players but I think this needs to be looked at and considered if it is a sensible saving or missing the boat.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Alfie Olek » Tue May 05, 2015 11:15 am

Nigel played about 60 minutes for the Under 20’s last night. Didn’t exactly sparkle but presumably the club are trying to get his match fitness up for the remaining 3 games. When we signed him it was until the end of the season with the club having an option of extending his contract for a year. Should we take up that option or not as one of our 3/4 experienced players?
Alfie Olek

Postby H9crx » Tue May 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Alfie Olek wrote:Nigel played about 60 minutes for the Under 20’s last night. Didn’t exactly sparkle but presumably the club are trying to get his match fitness up for the remaining 3 games. When we signed him it was until the end of the season with the club having an option of extending his contract for a year. Should we take up that option or not as one of our 3/4 experienced players?

Thanks, but no thanks, i don't see what he brings to the team, Not got lots of goals no hight and looks like he has lost what pace he had.

Wages better spend on a replacemtn for MAC
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Whiskeytown » Tue May 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Not convinced either. Possible buy - Declan McManus. League One player of the year, possibly unwanted at Aberdeen. Young player on the way up, like Greg Stewart who we tried to get. Not that Nigel is old but he does seem to have lost something and gained a few pounds too.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:16 pm

Nigel didn't over impress last night and don't know if he can play up on his own. He played with Brophy, who was also only average, and he played the full game so not sure MC is even thinking of starting him; which is weird cos he was talking about giving youth a chance and yet we play 60 mins with Scotland.

Lucas was decent last night.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Next

Return to The Accies