Safe from relegation - a successful season

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Safe from relegation - a successful season

Postby Park Materson » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:09 am

100% correct chase.
Try explaining that to the likes of Ogg and gaspipe though.
Very accurate assessment.
Park Materson
Seaside Leagues

Postby Alexander the Great » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:07 am

fat matterson has done nothing but negativity since day one of canning getting the job and still continues after he gets his first win instead of showing a bit of positivity, top 6 we should have had, but now back the guy and lets get more points than 5 years ago which was a brilliant season back then and could be bettered after a tried time.
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:28 am

I don't recall anyone in August outlining how poor the rest of the league was and how good our squad was and that top 6 and indeed Europe were the targets for this season.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby AlMac » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:46 am

redandwhite1874 wrote:I don't recall anyone in August outlining how poor the rest of the league was and how good our squad was and that top 6 and indeed Europe were the targets for this season.

The behaviour of many of our fans over the years has followed this trend. They are OTT when things are going well and then flip to gloom and doom when they're not.

The comment about the poor standard of the league is a good example of this. I don't recall anyone on this forum saying how bad the other teams were when we were winning (eg Celtic at Parkhead, Aberdeen 3-0 at NDP, the 4-0 & 5-0 Motherwell games etc).

We have the smallest budget and fan base in our division, therefore on this basis fans of teams below us in the league must be furious that a diddy team like Accies has out performed theirs.

For the record I believe that the season has been a combination of success and disappointment.
AlMac
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:00 am

AlMac wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:I don't recall anyone in August outlining how poor the rest of the league was and how good our squad was and that top 6 and indeed Europe were the targets for this season.

The behaviour of many of our fans over the years has followed this trend. They are OTT when things are going well and then flip to gloom and doom when they're not.

The comment about the poor standard of the league is a good example of this. I don't recall anyone on this forum saying how bad the other teams were when we were winning (eg Celtic at Parkhead, Aberdeen 3-0 at NDP, the 4-0 & 5-0 Motherwell games etc).

We have the smallest budget and fan base in our division, therefore on this basis fans of teams below us in the league must be furious that a diddy team like Accies has out performed theirs.

For the record I believe that the season has been a combination of success and disappointment.

Plenty of clubs with bigger or much bigger supports sitting below us, both in this league and the lower leagues. Not many people are keen to compare us with Dunfermline or Morton for instance.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Park Materson » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:08 am

Glad to see all the negativity is not just coming from "fat matterson"
Lol.
Park Materson
Seaside Leagues

Postby Whiskeytown » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:22 pm

What people like Park/Mark seem to forget is that it's not just Accies that have had bad runs. Today Dundee United, a far bigger club, lost their 10th match in the last 13. They didn't lose their manager but did, like us, lose two of their best players. Killie, another bigger club, lost their fifth game in a row yesterday. Both of those runs are worse than anything we've had.

Further afield, Luton lost 9 out of 10 recently, Notts County went from the brink of the play offs to needing to win next week to stay up and Tranmere have gone from being top of League One well into the season two years ago to relegation to the Conference. Maybe these clubs message boards are full of doom mongers like Park, I don't know but the relentless negativity is ridiculous given where this club was a short while ago. If he is who I think he is, he's nearer 50 than 40 and is a genuine Accies fan. Negativity maybe goes with the territory, we've all been moaning minnies at times but this stuff is bordering in enjoyment of defeats. Being negative after stuffing Motherwell, again, is just madness.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:02 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32533118

An example of a bigger club with a bigger support than us, who had a very experienced manager during the season and who 'invested' in their squad; but without success. They are stuck in the third tier, losing fortunes and cutting back their first team and youth squads. Food for thought?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Alfie Olek » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:47 pm

And when the experienced manager left they made an internal appointment in Potter who knew the club and its players but had never managed and now that's gone pear shaped they are looking for someone who knows the leagues and can manage. food for thought indeed.
Alfie Olek

Postby silverfox » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32533118

An example of a bigger club with a bigger support than us, who had a very experienced manager during the season and who 'invested' in their squad; but without success. They are stuck in the third tier, losing fortunes and cutting back their first team and youth squads. Food for thought?

As an Accies fan, I don't see what's wrong with looking for us to achieve the best results possible . It seems that anyone who expresses disappointment in a season which has gone pear shaped, is then asked to remember where Accies apparently are" in the great scheme of things" and rather than responding as fans, we are asked to respond as philosphers
silverfox
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri May 01, 2015 7:02 am

My point was just that the model of experienced manager and 'investment' in the squad isn't the guarantee of success that it has been painted by some; as evidenced by Dunfermline last season and in seasons prior to that. Our 'ethos' of financial stability and youth has been subject of absolute ridicule by some, and here is a bigger club than us losing £0.25m in a year just a short time after almost going bust - so no lessons learned by them presumably in the name of ambition, experience, investment and trying to achieve the best possible results.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby silverfox » Fri May 01, 2015 8:26 pm

[quote="redandwhite1874"]My point was just that the model of experienced manager and 'investment' in the squad isn't the guarantee of success that it has been painted by some; as evidenced by Dunfermline last season and in seasons prior to that. Our 'ethos' of financial stability and youth has been subject of absolute ridicule by some, and here is a bigger club than us losing £0.25m in a year just a short time after almost going bust - so no lessons learned by them presumably in the name of ambition, experience, investment and trying to achieve the best possible results.[/quote

Hear what you are saying, however, not sure our financial position or management is quite the same as Dunfermilines. To offer a different viewpoint on spending, could it be argued that Dundee's spending has worked, as they overcame a 17 point deficit to finish above Accies. I am not advocating Accies go into debt,but some targeted spending can work.
silverfox
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:47 pm

silverfox wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:My point was just that the model of experienced manager and 'investment' in the squad isn't the guarantee of success that it has been painted by some; as evidenced by Dunfermline last season and in seasons prior to that. Our 'ethos' of financial stability and youth has been subject of absolute ridicule by some, and here is a bigger club than us losing £0.25m in a year just a short time after almost going bust - so no lessons learned by them presumably in the name of ambition, experience, investment and trying to achieve the best possible results.[/quote

Hear what you are saying, however, not sure our financial position or management is quite the same as Dunfermilines. To offer a different viewpoint on spending, could it be argued that Dundee's spending has worked, as they overcame a 17 point deficit to finish above Accies. I am not advocating Accies go into debt,but some targeted spending can work.

Fair enough.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:02 pm

That's now 8th guaranteed and the most points in the top level since the 1930s.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat May 02, 2015 7:49 pm

Victory over Partick next week guarantees 7th.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:54 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:Victory over Partick next week guarantees 7th.

Crisis! What crisis?

Almost makes you miss the times when a small number of posters would have such wide, varied and interesting views on Accies that multiple threads were required after each match - I think circa 18 was the record.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Whiskeytown » Sat May 02, 2015 8:44 pm

Still gutted not to have made history with a top six finish but this is certainly more fun than getting scudded again by Celtic.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Alfie Olek » Sat May 02, 2015 10:16 pm

That's now 8th guaranteed and the most points in the top level since the 1930s.

In season 34/35 we had 48 points after 38 games but as it was 2 for a win not a direct comparison. Had it been 3 we would have finished that season with 67.
Alfie Olek

Postby southoftheborder » Mon May 04, 2015 11:04 am

Yes!
southoftheborder
Seaside Leagues

Postby Working for Cunard » Thu May 07, 2015 11:02 am

The season is 38 games long. We have had a good season overall. Could have been better, but could have been much worse.
Working for Cunard
Seaside Leagues

Previous

Return to The Accies