Site Admin

Re: PLAYOFF - Alloa .V. Accies - Tuesday, May 7th

Postby Billybamz » Sun May 05, 2024 11:14 am

Lets get right behind the boys on tues
Billybamz
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun May 05, 2024 2:06 pm

Hope we can take at least 500. For me, both Smiths and Hastie have to start. Liam Morgan should be involved in some way too.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby accie » Sun May 05, 2024 5:52 pm

Hopefully a big noisy support with us on Tuesday. Everyone hopefully all rested and fit, only issues may be left back.
Would probably start Smith in goal instead of Lyness. Centre backs are a big decision, probably too early for Jamie to play 2 games in a week but would have Fergus alongside Kilday and leave out McGowan. Would expect either Smith or Hastie to play with O'Hara the other wide player.
accie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Red and white hoops » Sun May 05, 2024 7:42 pm

If you can make it please do. If you are in two minds for whatever reason. Please go. We need a big noisy support for 90 minutes. Whatever we think of the club, the board, the manager etc. These next 2 (hopefully 4) games is all about getting our club back into the championship. Please put any negativity aside and support the team. Everything else can be argued about all summer long.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Mon May 06, 2024 1:15 am

I echo the previous sentiments in that stay away fans need now to return for the Play Offs; that also goes for those who have fallen away the last 4-5 seasons.

Sadly, the usual failures like McGowan will start instead of the likes of Fergus or possibly Jamie.

Jake Hastie was playing well until Rankin inexplicably dropped him and I expect-despite Saturday’s good performance- he will be back on the bench.

Ten years ago we were having our greatest moment for me winning at Easter Road, so winning these Play Offs will offer some redemption at how far we have fallen.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Mon May 06, 2024 10:57 am

2014 was indeed special.
I remember standing beside you YOH when we put Dundee out of the league cup quarter final at Dens in the late 70s and that was special but 10-2, Hibs play off win, 4-0 away at Fir Park, going top of the Premier League by beating Celtic away. 10 years is indeed a long time.
Lewis Smith must start after that sensational goal and assist. Would also start both Jamies.
Also agree with the previous points - everyone that can go - please do.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby AccieDownUnder » Mon May 06, 2024 12:36 pm

The big call for me is Davidson or Williamson in midfield with Barjonas and Martin. Davidson is a far better player imo but if he can’t be used against Inverness are we better keeping Williamson on side? Hopefully Longridge is fit as Hendrie offers very little going forward and isn’t the greatest defender which isn’t the best cocktail for a full back.
AccieDownUnder
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon May 06, 2024 12:39 pm

£18 for adults tomorrow with Alloa counting it as a season ticket match. Accies giving half price discount on production of ST at turnstiles, cash only. Not bad, assumed STs wouldn't be valid across the play offs.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon May 06, 2024 1:21 pm

Asked about this at Accies office on Saturday. Emphatically told that Season Ticket are NOT valid for Play-Offs, and that they were Cup Games. Challenged that, on basis that it's still a League decider. Told again, ST's not valid.

Good that there's been a change of heart for Saturday's return leg, & hopefully the next game v Montrose/ICT. :D .

Strongest team possible, please, on Tuesday, but with those keen & industrious Academy Players doing so well v Kelty, surely they'll be on the bench. Williamson? Flatters to deceive so far, IMO. Jake Hastie HAS to start!
porcupine
Premiership

Postby AccieDownUnder » Tue May 07, 2024 7:22 am

I see the latest rag piece details that Rankin has signed a new 3 year deal. Maybe I’m a bit sensitive here but why are we finding out through a newspaper? Why did seref not say this at the club forum? Have a bit of belief and backbone to the fans. This reeks that it’ll end up biting us in the @rse by not going up this season.

Onto tonight, I’m fairly confident against Alloa and believe we have more than enough to go through. I’ll go for a draw tonight before winning at NDP. I fly back Friday so making all the playoff games from then onwards.
AccieDownUnder
Seaside Leagues

Postby Beckford » Tue May 07, 2024 10:55 am

Nervousness stating to grow as the reality of what failing to go up would mean.

Not confident at all as still feel if any team looks to "rough us up" we will crumble. As others have said, I will be setting my feelings aside to back the team during the play offs, but agree a contract extension for Rankin before these games was foolish and raises the pressure needlessly.
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Postby Red and white hoops » Tue May 07, 2024 11:17 pm

Well we are still in the tie and I’d have taken the result beforehand.

We started well and feel we were in top for the first half hour and scored a good acrobatic goal through Henderson. From 30 minutes onwards Alloa really came into it and thought that half time cane at a good time for us.

Second half started and we had conceded without us even touching the ball. Alloa for the next 15/ 20 minutes were well on top scoring after a defensive nightmare from us.

We made changes I wasn’t sure about at the time but it did seem to give us a boost and went in to score another good header from o’hara.

Davidson, Williamson, McGowan and Barjonas out the team for Saturday please.

Good to see a lot of old faces back amongst the support and noticed Serif sitting in with the fans first half too.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby AccieDownUnder » Wed May 08, 2024 7:36 am

Thanks for the summary. I’m looking forward to watching the highlights provided by Alloa which are normally impressive. Level and all to play for with home advantage. Full time status should really help us here with proper recovery and prep over the next 3 days.
AccieDownUnder
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Wed May 08, 2024 8:08 am

Barjonas was really dreadful. I'd start Liam Morgan instead, he showed what he can do v Kelty and Alloa will know little about him. Williamson pretty awful too but he redeemed himself a little with the excellent cross for the second goal. O'Hara had been poor too but almost got a second with a flicked header but their keeper made a stunning save. Martin looked out of sorts and should've been booked. Ref clearly said next foul he would be and then he was hooked. Why does McGowan start ahead of Owens or Hamilton? Davidson was right back and Tumilty left midfield. This made sense to me as Tumilty is a poor defender, his strength is bursting down the wing and has a decent final ball. I thought both were ok but Davidson fell away in second half.

We were so much better after the subs, mainly down to Lewis Smith. He stretches defences like no one else we have. How Rankin could put on Winter wide left and not Hastie is beyond me. Hastie must wonder what he's done wrong, ever since he was hooked at half time at home to Annan when he had been our best player.

How the ref didn't send off O'Donnell for a shocking tackle on Winter, I don't know. He stopped a dangerous attack plus he went for the man. Red all day long.

370 is our biggest away support of the season but still pretty poor for a play off. I wouldn't be surprised if Alloa brought more.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby OnlyHamilton » Wed May 08, 2024 12:29 pm

Honestly feel we are our own worst enemy at times.

Saturday we played with no fear, press was brilliant and the system/formation was that of what has been Rankin's most successful when used over his tenor.

Understand its completely different games but for the quality and quantity of players we have available to ourself within the squad i honestly belief the way in which Rankin uses them is incorrect and massively ineffective in comparison to what it can be.

We got in the final third alot yesterday but lacked creativity.

We are playing a 4-3-3, Tumilty and Longridge are fine but Hamilton and Owens both are a far better option than McGowan who has been rotten for months (hoof ball central) i would much rather 3 Centre backs.

We then play a midfield 3 of Martin, Williamson and Davidson, Martin having to pretty much do the work of 3 midfielders due to the other 2 and completely understand his frustrations.

We then play Barjo at winger when we have about 6 actual wingers available within the squad available.

If utilized correctly i do believe we have a decent level championship side however rankins persistence with his favourites and less effective system is really causing problems.

Morgan and Hastie in particular had extremely good games on Saturday (and have for every game they have been involved within that i have seen both first team and 18s) They would have a far better impact than some of those that started and Rankin relied on coming on.

All to play for in the 2nd leg, i would much rather we saw ourself going for the game and having options that would make a difference as if we do that i feel we will go through alot more comfortably, rather than setting up looking to be hard to beat and it being very squeaky bum time (hopefully that was solely for the away leg).
OnlyHamilton
Pub League

Postby porcupine » Wed May 08, 2024 12:35 pm

Almost word for word that I was about to post SC. How come we see this and yet JR persists with a strange team selection? Missed place loyalty?

Owens steadied the ship when he came on. Far better than Davidson, far less McGowan. Hamilton strolled through the Kelty game and should have at least started, or come on after what we saw after half time. Barjonas was worse than you describe and Connor Murray, IMO, should also have started, or come on earlier, along with Morgan & Hastie. Lewis also should have started.

We looked far from convincing last night, but at home with a second game in five days, we have to be better than a part-time team, who clearly fancy their chances, especially with Montrose/ICT drawing. I expect ICT to go through, but they may have the jitters, even at home, and who knows how Montrose will perform on Saturday.

Links Park on Tuesday night v Accies then we meet again the following Saturday at NDP? We can but dream.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Billybamz » Wed May 08, 2024 1:07 pm

Noing our luck,Montrose will win at inverness ,an we will get beat by Alloa ,,but hey we got 3 more years of this ,why does he play tumilly as a winger,an a midfeilder as a full back who struggled ,till he was moved into midfield ,and we bought on a real winger in lewis ,dont no why he doesent play hastie (he should have got a 3 year contract) i would have given kirk a game after saturday,at least 30 mins hez a big strong lad and fast ,also desperate to score for us ,fingers crossed Alloa dont go ahead in the home game cause this lot will bottle it .
Billybamz
Seaside Leagues

Postby monkeybones » Wed May 08, 2024 1:28 pm

Alloa play quick ball and commit players. Accies ponder, slow it down and let teams get back.
Alloa harass and close down. Accies give you room to control the ball and make a pass.
I fear in a winner take all game the Alloa tactics will succeed
monkeybones
Seaside Leagues

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Wed May 08, 2024 2:42 pm

If we succeed in The Play Offs it will be in spite of Hawditt and Dawditt in the dugout and Marty Mulligan offering advice(like forcing out Ryan Fulton who has been fully fit since February).

He picked the wrong team and only Lewis Smith was the correct Sub: Andy Winter probably last scored when Stuart Taylor was the Manager and how he got on before Jake Hastie sums up Rankin’s tenure.

A source close to Alloa said the crowd was nearer 1500 and not what was quoted and there looked a lot more than 370 as that Stand itself has a capacity of 519 and was virtually full and there looked 100+ standing watching down the sides.

Pick the right team and we can win The Play Offs… there is the problem right there.
Last edited by YeOldeHamiltonian on Wed May 08, 2024 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Next

Return to The Accies