Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Accies .V. Stirling Albion - Saturday, March 16th

Postby Admin » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:51 pm

Your comments please...
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accies .V. Stirling Albion - Saturday, March 16th

Postby AccieDownUnder » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:25 am

Another boring game win, lose or draw as we dangerously sleepwalk into the playoffs here. With our spot secured, would a few defeats and Rankin getting the bullet really be the worst thing for the club? I'm guessing a lot of fans will vote with their feet by being elsewhere this weekend. I noticed bottom of the professional leagues Clyde attracted more to NDP for their last home game than we did. It's going to be a very bleak end to the season.

On a side note - I had to laugh at the club advertising the Falkirk tickets (both stands) already for our game in April. They must be trying to fill the away end to generate some cash before next season where we probably won't see an away crowd above 300. I'm glad we are so accommodating to organise the title party for the league winners... :roll:
AccieDownUnder
Seaside Leagues

Postby onlyagame » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:05 pm

It will need to be a better performance than last week, that is for sure. However, hopefully they can stay on this wee run and improve perfomances towards the playoffs. Its just such a dead end to the season it is so difficult to get excited about it at present. Last week was such a poor game and all credit to Edinburgh because any good football that was played was played by them. The whole place needs a lift somehow, maybe if they conclude the buyout of the stadium and they get Scott Martin back it might just lift the mood headed towards playoffs. I still think the players are good enough to get promotion.
onlyagame
Pub League

Postby porcupine » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:23 pm

onlyagame wrote:. I still think the players are good enough to get promotion.

Admire your optimism, onlyagame, but this group of individuals have hardly shown they are capable of a consistent team performance for a number of weeks.

I think we first have to beat a strong Montrose, or an Alloa side, before we get carried away thinking we can beat ICT, Queens Park or Dunfermline, & perhaps Airdrie.

Another season in League One is a more likely outcome for us.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Theaccie1 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:00 pm

I really think the remaining home games should be heavily discounted for the rest of the season, to try and attract some sort of crowd leading up to the playoffs.
That's about the only reason I would go at the moment as I'm still completely disillusioned with what has happened to our season.

We just haven't improved as the season has went on and really struggle to break teams down that sit in against us (majority of the teams).

I know we still have a chance of promotion but the way we are playing it offers very little to get excited about.
Obviously I would love to see us go up, but would still be looking for changes even if we did.

This game - 1-0 to Accies.
Theaccie1
Pub League

Postby Beckford » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:41 pm

Theaccie1 wrote:I really think the remaining home games should be heavily discounted for the rest of the season, to try and attract some sort of crowd leading up to the playoffs.
That's about the only reason I would go at the moment as I'm still completely disillusioned with what has happened to our season.

We just haven't improved as the season has went on and really struggle to break teams down that sit in against us (majority of the teams).

I know we still have a chance of promotion but the way we are playing it offers very little to get excited about.
Obviously I would love to see us go up, but would still be looking for changes even if we did.

This game - 1-0 to Accies.

I can see where your coming from regarding discounted games, but this type of thing never considers season ticket holders. We pay our money before the season kicks off then attend games win lose or draw so wheres our incentive or reward?

The football on show for most of the season has been woeful, but I've made a commitment to attend regardless. Like most fans, I have been less than happy with a lot of what's happened on or off the park, but we have had years of McGowans freeloaders in the stadium with no interest in the game, while loyal fans who have stumped up their money were treated like mugs. Discounted promotions have been tried numerous times for years and never result in a sustained increase in our attendances.

The only way to build the support is forge stronger relationships with the fans, make them feel valued and of course improve performances on the park.

With regards to today, momentum is everything in football, a wins a win and another clean sheet so hard to be critical. However, although today was an improvement all over the park and Rose looks a real asset, we continue to be very slow in attack and are still very wasteful in front of goal. IF we are to get up via the play offs, we need to be a lot more ruthless and sharper.

Upwards and onwards to Cove!
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Postby Theaccie1 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:08 pm

Fair points Beckford.....
Theaccie1
Pub League

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:29 pm

Should have been a repeat of the 5-0 from earlier this season when you consider the missed chances and missed penalty.

Yes, a bit of momentum and good to see Hastie get some minutes, but once again the ineffective Winter on before the likes of Hastie/Henderson and McGowan still towing a caravan in defence.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby manxaccie » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:46 am

First game I’ve managed in a while, and be honest we swatted Stirling aside without too much trouble. Makes you wonder why Rankin was so delighted with a point a few weeks ago!

I liked the set up and think we looked more potent with two up. Rose makes a huge difference. Smith was a threat throughout, Owens seems to get better each week and Tumelty put in some dangerous crosses. McGowan and longridge were solid. Barjonas does slow things down at times but he’s also likely to create something and offers a bit of creativity. I like Henderson but not sure why he’s out of favour or who he replaces - Ohara? Hastie is someone who might just might make a difference in the weeks to come. The two sitters in midfield were fine, but the whole system doesn’t really get tested against the likes of Stirling at home.

On that evidence we have every chance in the play offs. I appreciate we will need some luck along the way, and whoever we meet will pose a much bigger threat than Stirling did today.
manxaccie
Pub League

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:50 am

Much better this week without being brilliant. Yet we could still have had another 5-0 on our hands. It makes you wonder how we managed to drop four points at Stirling, though we were very unlucky in the first game. Davidson strolled through the match and is proving to be a very decent substitute for Scott Martin. Owens was imperious, he has such a big future. Williamson, who I wasn't aware was a permanent signing, had some nice flashes. O'Hara scored a good striker's goal and put in a lovely cross for Rose's goal. Great to see Hastie get on at last and score too. Markey Redfern was unwell and nothing against him but we looked better with Lewis Smith.

Crowd 762(131). Understandable, folk will probably come back for the play offs. In our season ticket section there were at least seventeen empty seats in the row in front. Last week, with a much lower crowd, there was only a handful. Weird.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Return to The Accies