Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Accies .V. Cove Rangers - Sat, Jan 13th

Postby Admin » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:15 pm

Your comments please...
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accies .V. Cove Rangers - Sat, Jan 13th

Postby porcupine » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:38 pm

This will be a test of the new additions against a team almost breathing down our necks. Having shipped four goals on Tuesday night, let’s hope their confidence and their stamina have both been sapped as a result.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Beckford » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:33 pm

Last chance saloon even this early in the season Reality is we can not afford to drop another point, and need to at least stay ahead of Cove (which I don't think is a given)

Tough standard set by a Falkirk side who have been more streetwise, physical, clinical and organised than we have. (Apart from that there's not much in it eh?)

As per the above post, be interesting to see how the new players do and hopefully we can kick on. As disappointing as the recent form has been, we need to stick with the team and hope we can kick on.
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Postby AccieDownUnder » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:34 am

I agree with Beckford that it is indeed the last roll of the dice, IF we drop points on Saturday we can wave goodbye to the league. At this point, I’d be keen to invest absolutely no further on the squad and concentrate fully on hiring a competent manager to guide us through the playoffs.
AccieDownUnder
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:03 pm

Play-offs (at best) look to be the probable outcome of this season, and we have to be in second place in the league if that's the final result. Against Queens Park/ Arbroath?

Meantime, lots to play for, and Falkirk could still have their usual implosion to come, though that's wishful thinking.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:49 pm

The only advantage to finishing second is we'd play the third place team at home in the second leg. The team that finishes fourth plays the second bottom Championship side.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby AccieDownUnder » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:49 pm

I think we will win this comfortably tomorrow. I think there is a bit of a drop off in quality between the top two and Cove. Away from home may be a bit trickier but we should be disposing of them comfortably at home. I think Williamson will start but Mak will have to wait his turn as I can’t see Rankin dropping O’Hara.
AccieDownUnder
Seaside Leagues

Postby StewartP » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:49 pm

Not sure about a comfortable win but I can see us winning.

To be honest, we must win. Every game between now and our next game against Falkirk is a must win.

Expect to see Williamson in the team but not sure how we’ll line up up top.
StewartP
Pub League

Postby porcupine » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:00 pm

Well, two points gained today given that we expected that Falkirk would win easily at Meadowbank. Maybe this is the start of their annual implosion we already talked about? Other teams will have taken note!

Our new signing Williamson was pretty anonymous today until his red card on his debut. On that showing no great loss for the Bino's game next week. Makenzie had no time to show what he has in his locker.

Cove looked a poor team, yet after we score a very early goal, once again we do not punish teams but sit back and take on pressure at the other end. WHY? Our second goal eventually came with 10 v 11, and Cove then lost a player to even the numbers up.

Overall a very good result and a big gap now opened up between 2nd and 3rd. However, we still need to win ALL games and hope that Falkirk start to question themselves as to their invincibility in this league. If FC Edinburgh can almost beat them, then anyone lese can take points off Falkirk now.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Beckford » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:39 pm

Unfortunately it's the same conversations after every game. We create loads of chances but fail to score many. Rankin is very risk averse and we never look to kill teams off when we are in control of matches and our teams never look like they have that desire to blow other teams away.

Good that we made up some ground on Falkirk today but the general apathy in the stadium speaks volumes. We just don't look like we are capable of putting serious pressure on Falkirk. IF they have a major wobble, we need to be ready to pounce. At one nil today our lead looked very fragile and i would argue that it if we hadnt had a young goalie at the top of his game, it could easily have gone wrong very quickly.

Hopefully the new recruits can improve things, and we can at least become a bit more ruthless in front of goal. Going up via the play offs is far from certain even if we finish second. If it comes down to those cup final type games we will need to be a lot more clinical and up for a battle.

We got the win we needed and a small seed of doubt has been planted in the Falkirk camp. Kick on with a good confident win on Saturday and who knows.......
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:32 pm

Little bit harsh, Beckford given we've had three 5-0 wins this season.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:04 pm

But is it not uncontestable that we lack a killer instinct after we score early on?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby manxaccie » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:44 pm

I think you have to hand it to Cove for making life hard yesterday. They knocked the ball about quite well and were the better team for large chunks of the game. Albeit they were 1-0 down for the majority of that time, were a bit powderpuff upfront, and when we harried their defence they made mistakes.

I felt accies were a bit disjointed and certainly not getting the best out the players we have. A couple of cracking saves from j. Smith kept us in front and probably saved the 3 points. We lack creativity and L smith and Henderson look the only ones able to come up with something a bit different. Unfortunately they can both be a bit hit and miss. Not sure McGowan is the answer at the back either.

We’re almost a really good team but there’s something missing. Falkirk slipping up was an unexpected bonus, despite that last minute penalty!
manxaccie
Pub League

Return to The Accies