Club shop at NDP

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Club shop at NDP

Postby Beckford » Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:48 am

Wondering what folks thoughts are on this at the moment? Appologies for the long post.

Been a huge issue for me for years now as i feel it should be a really important customer facing asset. Unfortunately both the products on sale have been piss poor and the service non existent.

I am really pleased with the efforts being made to improve the range of merchandise in the shop. My kids actually love going in now and have a chance to spend their pocket money. (Feedback from them is loads more stickers, badges, stationary etc would be great to buy and collect each week) The adults in our wee group have also purchased quite a few items and happy to continue to do so now and contribute to the club in our own small way. Its also great to see so many folks wearing our colours with pride.

I understand there is a bit of a generational thing regarding manufacuring brands. However for me, the range of gear available proves the value of an independent supplier. Having a bespoke hooped home top again is a big plus for me. But given the number of retro tops im seeing wondering if its not popular with all? Loosing the hoops has meant a loss of our tradition and identity for me, but comments from our new owner and things like the academy colours being used shows this is being addressed

Initial quality of our merch was an issue but id say this is being improved? Sizes also seem to be an issue, wee bit small for the more rotund guys like me. The new scarves we have are a big improvement.

For me the negative aspect that still needs improving is the customer facing role. Needs a much more proffesional set up. Some of the newer faces are very helpful but some simple things would make such a difference.

For starters can we set up a basic desk diary / system of logging calls and enquiries please? An A4 day to day diary is less than 20 quid. I know of umpteen instances where punters have visited the shop placed orders or asked for out of stock items to reserved for collection upon arrival. When asked for contact details they have been written down on scrap bits of paper by shop staff which i assume are then lost as the calls are never recieved. Too many instances of folk going into the shop to collect items at pre arranged dates and times only to be informed "oh so and so is off today, dont know anything about that" Put it in the feckin diary people, do a daily hand over or something!
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Re: Club shop at NDP

Postby Todd_is_God » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:57 am

Beckford wrote:Having a bespoke hooped home top again is a big plus for me. But given the number of retro tops im seeing wondering if its not popular with all? Loosing the hoops has meant a loss of our tradition and identity for me, but comments from our new owner and things like the academy colours being used shows this is being addressed

Retro is very much in atm, though, and has the added bonus of not going out of date again next season. Where I think Accies have missed a trick is not identifying the popularity of certain kits and getting in on the act by partnering up with the likes of Matchwinner to produce them. Clydebank have managed this, so we could have too.

I think SZ is much more interested in delivering what the fans would like, mind, so this bodes well for future.
Todd_is_God
Seaside Leagues

Postby Beckford » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:48 pm

Todd_is_God wrote:
Beckford wrote:Having a bespoke hooped home top again is a big plus for me. But given the number of retro tops im seeing wondering if its not popular with all? Loosing the hoops has meant a loss of our tradition and identity for me, but comments from our new owner and things like the academy colours being used shows this is being addressed

Retro is very much in atm, though, and has the added bonus of not going out of date again next season. Where I think Accies have missed a trick is not identifying the popularity of certain kits and getting in on the act by partnering up with the likes of Matchwinner to produce them. Clydebank have managed this, so we could have too.
I think SZ is much more interested in delivering what the fans would like, mind, so this bodes well for future.

Funnily enough we were having a chat about this before the game yesterday. No idea how you get permission to reproduce another firms design, but the chevron b&q cup one would be a big seller obvs ( my original one will never fit me again thats for sure)

I have a number of reproduction retro scotland kits and a couple of Accies ones from the likes of the toffs website. Bit for nostalgia reasons and a bit for the reason you highlighted. Be good if the money for these went to the club.

As above a huge improvement all round in the shop and input from fans is being considered, no doubt about that, which is great to see.
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:43 pm

Guy from the company Magic Sponge Retro I think it is called made the tops fans were sporting at Coleraine;he delivered the tops personally to The HAFSWO Bus once we got off the Ferry.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:23 pm

Regarding the current top, I have seen three adult fans wearing tops that have the hoops in the wrong order, including the dad of someone on this thread! Just to be clear, this means that the club crest is on a red hoop and the advert a white one. Three questions. Why are the manufacturers supplying Accies with duff shirts as they cannot be called replicas? Why hasn't someone at the club noticed? Why haven't the fans themselves noticed? I think it should be refunds or replacements all round.

Looked up Magic Sponge site. There is nothing there when you click on Hamilton Academical.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Beckford » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:36 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Regarding the current top, I have seen three adult fans wearing tops that have the hoops in the wrong order, including the dad of someone on this thread! Just to be clear, this means that the club crest is on a red hoop and the advert a white one. Three questions. Why are the manufacturers supplying Accies with duff shirts as they cannot be called replicas? Why hasn't someone at the club noticed? Why haven't the fans themselves noticed? I think it should be refunds or replacements all round.

Looked up Magic Sponge site. There is nothing there when you click on Hamilton Academical.

I brought up the quality issues with the adult top in the shop a few weeks ago. The kids ones i purchased are fine but i wasnt happy with the adult ones. To be fair to the girl in the shop she ordered a new one for me. Not been able to collect but hopefully will address the issues you have highlighted.

At a recent forum, it was acknowledge there had been issues and a fan who complained was told he would get a replacement if he returned the top he bought. Its still early days as a supplier and hopefully things will get better.

I have moaned plenty in the past about our merch and accept its far from perfect yet. However, as the club are making an effort im keen to support. Have advised the shop that i think the quality issues have put a few folk off which is a shame. Been wanting to see the fans back in hoops for years but understand why folk would go for the chevron top (i still have a photo on my workshop wall of the b&q cup final team after the game, great day!)
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Postby Beckford » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:40 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:Guy from the company Magic Sponge Retro I think it is called made the tops fans were sporting at Coleraine;he delivered the tops personally to The HAFSWO Bus once we got off the Ferry.

Cheers for the info, a mate of mine has been hunting for this top for a while. Originals are like hens teeth.
Beckford
Seaside Leagues

Return to The Accies