The last Accie to make the big money move?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

The last Accie to make the big money move?

Postby porcupine » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:56 pm

If you can spare the time, some info on now Lewis has settled in to life in Bologna. Seems settled with a partner and new baby!
Can't see us producing any other talent in my lifetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQMGM56cdA0
porcupine
Premiership

Re: The last Accie to make the big money move?

Postby smc4761 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:31 pm

I have no idea how much we spend on our yooooof policy, are we getting value for money

The only money that I can think of in last 10 years is probably Greg Doherty for £ 600k, Steven Hendry maybe £ 200 k.

I dont think we got much for Lewis apart from development fee

A few players have moved on but not sure we got a great deal for any of them, Eamon Brophy, Mikey Devlin, Scott McMann
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:40 pm

porcupine wrote:If you can spare the time, some info on now Lewis has settled in to life in Bologna. Seems settled with a partner and new baby!

Strange comment in a week where Accies u18s played a Youth Cup semi final, Accies youth players were selected for the national team in almost every under age category and in a season where the Accies U18 team are still very much in with a chance of winning the Elite league, incidentally with a team made up largely of 16 year olds.

It certainly will never be discussed on this forum but it is quite remarkable that a club with Accies resources is competing as one of the best academies in the country.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:15 pm

Yummy Fur wrote:
porcupine wrote:If you can spare the time, some info on now Lewis has settled in to life in Bologna. Seems settled with a partner and new baby!

Strange comment in a week where Accies u18s played a Youth Cup semi final, Accies youth players were selected for the national team in almost every under age category and in a season where the Accies U18 team are still very much in with a chance of winning the Elite league, incidentally with a team made up largely of 16 year olds.

It certainly will never be discussed on this forum but it is quite remarkable that a club with Accies resources is competing as one of the best academies in the country.

I do agree that we produce some amazing talent at under 18 level. The under 18's were in Europe a few seasons ago. The issue with Accies ans many other clubs though is what happens to these lads once they move to first team, if they are deemed good enough. the vast majority of them do not seem to be able to move on to the next level. I am not having a go at the Accies under 18's or indeed say Celtic and Rangers under 18's. They have also produced some great young talent, but few seem to be able to move on, eg become saleable assets.

As I indicated in my previous comment aprt from really Greg Doherty we are not reaping any great financial rewards, from youth since 2009 since McArthur and McCarthy and to an extent Sheena
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Begs.hafc » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:49 pm

Great post Yummy Fur! But as you probably realise,far too positive for this forum.
Begs.hafc
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:01 pm

Not disputing that we produce leads of talented youth players but, to date, there's been no-one breaking into the first team that would indicate any 'jewels' for the future, IMO. As said by others, any that do, seem to plateau.

Time will tell!
porcupine
Premiership

Return to The Accies