Neil Hood Was My Hero

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Neil Hood Was My Hero

Postby Dr Slippy » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:58 pm

After all the gloom and doom surrounding Accies of late, I genuinely had one of my most memorable moments at tonight’s match.
I was at prematch hospitality for the first time tonight and there was a Q&A with 2 players - Gary Clarke and Neil Hood.
Neil Hood played centre forward in my first ever Accies match v Clyde on 4/11/72, and I have been a regular ever since.
I spoke to him after the Q&A and told him I remembered him scoring many memorable goals for Accies including a hat-trick against Don Revie’s Leeds Utd in a 4-3 win during preseason. That was in the days where preseason matches were competitive challenge matches and not the glorified training sessions they are today. Leeds were probably the top team in England at that time.
Neil was an absolute gentleman this evening and it was a genuine thrill for me to meet him. They say that you should never meet your heroes and Neil was mine as an 8 year old kid. I was not disappointed, and it was a timely reminder of why I have loved Accies for 50 years. Here’s hoping we can one day unearth a striker with a fraction his ability and charisma.
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Re: Neil Hood Was My Hero

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:21 am

“Big Neil Hood scores goals down the middle, goals down the middle, goals down the middle. That’s why we’re supreme” or something like that if I recall :D
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Dr Slippy » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:26 am

I just remember “Neily, Neily, Neily Hood
Neily, Neily Hood”
Chants were pretty basic back in the day
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:33 am

Team sheet and brief match report. I had that programme for years before having a clear out.

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/leeds_fri ... 8-1973.php
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Dr Slippy » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:42 am

I still have the programme.
I’m sure we played Middlesbrough when Jack Charlton was manager that preseason as well. When Eric Smith was manager he used his connections to get some great friendlies/challenge matches. Played Sunderland a couple of times around the time they won the FA Cup v Leeds in the final
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby Billybamz » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:24 am

I loved big Neil Hood ,my hero when i was a kid ,,he also scored a hatrick against us for Clyde in a 4.0 pumping at shawfield after he left us ..a Great big player ,i didnt no this was happening last night or i definelty would have went early to be there.
Billybamz
Seaside Leagues

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:07 pm

The opportunity was only available to those in hospitality Billybamz :oops:
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Dr Slippy » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:34 pm

Never done Accies hospitality, generally just go to the match as a normal ST holder, but so glad I went last night regardless of the match.
Gary Clark was good as well talking about a match v Airdrie where he lobbed John Martin from the centre circle before all he’ll broke loose and he got sent off.
I remember the match well & think it finished something like 10 v 8 players.
Frank McAvennie was compère for some reason??
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:42 pm

I bet the distance has grown over the years re the Gary Clark goal. I was there and it was about 30 yards. It was 8 v 10, an amazing match. We had three sent off and somehow hung on to win 3-2. Kenny Ward scored a brilliant solo goal in the first half that always got overlooked.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:47 pm

Neil was a great player and also my hero as well as Paul Hegarty, my one and only autograph of Accies player

I have recollections of Neil scoring against Stranraer and us winning 6-2, probably around mid 70's. Pitch was a mess mud everywhere, virtually no grass. They had a corner and our defence cleared and ball came to Neil. He ran the full length of pitch and scored, but could virtually not move afterwards he was that knackered
smc4761
Premiership

Return to The Accies