Colin McGowan - Get Out Of Our Club

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Colin McGowan - Get Out Of Our Club

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:25 pm

“And, why are all the Trustees names redacted, as well as that of the Independent Examiner? “

The charity regulator doesn’t keep a list of trustees Porcupine, the way Companies House does of Directors. All it says is that you can write to a charity and ask for trustee details and/or a copy of its constitution. If you look at the published accounts for the HAFC CommunityTrust I think you will find exactly the same practice re the trustees. Why you hide this I’ve no idea. I suspect some or all of trustees are cronies of Mcgowan and serve on both charities. I mean what’s to hide :?:
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:41 pm

Indeed, TT!

So let’s take a hypothetical situation. I’m not sure where the monies I’ve given a charity are being spent. I’d like to have some comfort on that from a responsible body i.e. The Charities Commission.

No! I have to write to the charity itself at it’s registered office asking for a list of its Trustees and/ or a copy of it’s Constitution? The very people I may have doubts about are the same people who will/ will not give me the information I want? Surely not?

So where’s the transparency? And also, where’s the evidence that any Government/Local Authority Grants/Lottery Funding is being spent on the items for which it was supplied?

More holes than a Swiss Cheese!

I’ve got this all wrong, of course. There’s a better explanation available. A

porcupine
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:42 pm

:o
Last edited by porcupine on Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:43 pm

porcupine wrote:
porcupine wrote:Indeed, TT!

So let’s take a hypothetical situation. I’m not sure where the monies I’ve given a charity are being spent. I’d like to have some comfort on that from a responsible body i.e. The Charities Commission.

No! I have to write to the charity itself at it’s registered office asking for a list of its Trustees and/ or a copy of it’s Constitution? The very people I may have doubts about are the same people who will/ will not give me the information I want? Surely not?

So where’s the transparency? And also, where’s the evidence that any Government/Local Authority Grants/Lottery Funding is being spent on the items for which it was supplied?

More holes than a Swiss Cheese!

I’ve got this all wrong, of course. There’s a better explanation available

porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:21 am

“So where’s the transparency? And also, where’s the evidence that any Government/Local Authority Grants/Lottery Funding is being spent on the items for which it was supplied?”

Have a look at the accounts again Porcupine, you will see that the charity’s income is divided between grants and donations. The grant funding comes from the National Lottery and can only be spent on the specific project that they applied to the lottery for. But the money that comes via donations £62,500 isn’t so restricted and there is no detail of the source. Could it be it comes via the Accies Community Trust. Surely not :o
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:06 pm

Yes, I saw that split, TT, that the grant funding comes from the National Lottery and can only be spent on the specific project that they applied to the lottery for.
And that donations £62,500 aren’t restricted, plus there is no detail of the source.

IMO, there's simply not enough information, TT, on which to make any sort of objective decision as to source of donations.

As you mention Accies Community Trust, this appears to be another registered Charity SC038553 but I cannot find anything about this on the OSCR website search. What say you?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:00 pm

You will find the HAFC community Trust using the charity number SC038553 Porcupine.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:19 am

It’s a small world indeed Porcupine ;)
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Top Cross » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:40 am

TerracingTomas wrote:Go to the Scottish Charity Regulators website Porcupine and search the Register. Type in Blameless on the enquiry form and you get the Blameless page. The accounts for 2021 have yet to be published as the charity missed the 9 month deadline :oops: but the 20 accounts are there. £79,000 income, £20,000 of which was spent on charitable income and a whopping 52k on salaries. Something not right :evil:

https://www.oscr.org.uk/charities/searc ... 53#results

I was having a look at the Blameless and Accies Community Trust returns on the OSCR website at the weekend myself. First thing that struck me was how little money passes through Blameless. The way Mr McGowan goes on about it, you would think it was as big as The Hunter Foundation.

I too thought the % of outgoings on salaries looked a bit fishy but for comparison I looked at the accounts and annual report of a children's charity that a family member works for, let's call it Charity X. Charity X has a similar % of outgoings spent on salaries as Blameless but that is justified given that the nature of the work they do is people intensive; providing theraputic support to children and training professionals engaged with children in similar circumstances to those being supported directly.

If Blameless are paying for staff that are out on the front line, delivering talks to children and educating teachers, youth leaders etc. as well as someone organising the kids outings and activities, the outgoings on salaries could be justified too. The problem is, we don't know as they don't publish a report detailing what they do. They don't even have a website as they have allowed their web domain to expire in October although you can find an archive copy at https://web.archive.org/web/20210419221246/https://blamelessuk.co.uk/

Charity X is a lot larger than Blameless in terms of income and expenditure and being organised as a limited company, there is far more transparency of their affairs compared to Blameless which is an SCIO. I actually learned a lot about Charity X so have a pretty good understanding of my relative's work life now!

From recent press and McGowancasts, in addition to McGowan himself, other trustees are likely to be:
Alex McGrath of Prosigns and former Hope CBD Director
Niall Fraser of Hope CBD and former candidate for George Galloway's All For Unity party

Is anyone brave enough to contact Mr McGowan to request a full list of trustees and more information on Blameless?
Top Cross
Pub League

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:07 am

TC your correct re McGrath as he is named as a Trustee in a press release. He is no longer a director of Hope CBD but remains a shareholder. Niall Fraser is listed at company house as commercial director of Hope CBD but in the press release u mention is described as Blameless’s Naill Fraser which I took to mean he was an employee of Blameless? Who knows? Maybe he works part time for both or maybe he is a trustee. I wonder if he can play right back we certainly need one.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Top Cross » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:56 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:I wonder if he can play right back we certainly need one.

If he's mates with George Galloway, I think he prefers the left.
Top Cross
Pub League

Postby EarnockAccie » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:44 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:“And, why are all the Trustees names redacted, as well as that of the Independent Examiner? “

The charity regulator doesn’t keep a list of trustees Porcupine, the way Companies House does of Directors. All it says is that you can write to a charity and ask for trustee details and/or a copy of its constitution. If you look at the published accounts for the HAFC CommunityTrust I think you will find exactly the same practice re the trustees. Why you hide this I’ve no idea. I suspect some or all of trustees are cronies of Mcgowan and serve on both charities. I mean what’s to hide :?:

Most responsible charities will publish that information in their:

a) annual report
b) audited accounts
c) on their website.

The fact that the mob don’t stinks to high heaven.
EarnockAccie
Pub League

Previous

Return to The Accies