Brian Rice has left the club

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Brian Rice has left the club

Postby smc4761 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:24 pm

There will be huge pressure on the board to get this one right. The board talk a good game but in reality it is all talk and the board will do whatever suits their agenda

They took a gamble with Alex Neil and to be fair that worked spectacularly well. However the last 2 attempts have been pretty dismal failures. Dwindling crowds, and a huge divide between club and fans. Not been as bad since the bad old days of the 90's. The board may well listen to the fans however it will be just that, listen to them, bu then ignore them and do exactly what they want to do anyway, disregarding whatever the fans or ASA say.

Need to get shot of Boozy, how the feck is he still there and for me bring in either Yogi or Steve Aitken. Otherwise its going to be a double relegation, off to seaside leagues and crowds of less than 500, as fans become even more disillusioned
smc4761
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:43 pm

One thing that also concerns me is the lack of signings. We need at least 2/3 players minimum and were supposed to be looking at a couple.

Now with Rice gone are we going to be able to make any signings. Or do we leave it until new manager comes in, which would have to be very quick , and let him make the signings before window closes
smc4761
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:31 pm

Anti-football Gus McPherson -sorry no chance.His style of "football" would chase away plenty of us still in attendance even with results.

Petrie won't give up his Bank job as an Accies fan I know works with him and has confirmed this.As for the rest,the usual candidates could be in the running: Yogi Hughes(reputation for bullying youngsters which would have the parents of the likes of Lewis,Smith/Mimmnaugh going tonto),Neil McCann-who steadied the ship at Inverness or even ex Accies Paul McDonald,Andy Millen or Dougie Imrie.

McGowan is friendly with Didier Agathe,so don't rule out a Boozy/Agathe combo.

For me,there is only one candidate and he would instantly double attendances and bring the feel good factor back ...arise Sir Alex.

I would take him even to the end of the season and he could employ Easton or Dougie/Daz as an Assistant to take over after learning the ropes.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Billybamz » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:31 am

Big sheena...been here since he was a kid..noz the club inside out ..still a good player .and a good age to start management or at least an ass manager..we could do worse.
Billybamz
Seaside Leagues

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 pm

Maitland quoted in the papers assaying the club will draw breathe over the weekend , speak to staff. It’s an attractive job, applications received already more to come. In other words it’s your job if you want it Cairns, Boozy but we will also consider the kitman and the Gillian the ticket lady. No surprises it’s almost a carbon copy of the clubs response after Neil and Canning’s departures.

UPDATE

Boozy gets first dibs then although Maitland spouts the line that it’s important to get this right.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loc ... d-24753677
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:23 pm

And a reasonable assessment of potential candidates here:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loc ... d-24754501
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:50 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:Maitland quoted in the papers assaying the club will draw breathe over the weekend , speak to staff. It’s an attractive job, applications received already more to come. In other words it’s your job if you want it Cairns, Boozy but we will also consider the kitman and the Gillian the ticket lady. No surprises it’s almost a carbon copy of the clubs response after Neil and Canning’s departures.

UPDATE

Boozy gets first dibs then although Maitland spouts the line that it’s important to get this right.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loc ... d-24753677

Get Boozy to feck away from the club. He has been there during the Canning and Rice eras, and I would assume that he has had at least some input into tactics etc and look how that turned out

Big Sheena will just be another Canning. Good player, great servant to club, no experience. NEXT

Sir Alex , take him back in a heartbeat but he is now too big a name for the club

Dougie just started a job with Livi and was treated poorly by Accies, so cant see him taking it

Neil McCann, is he not one of the most hated managers in Scotland ?

I have a bad feeling about this, and as the board dont really give a feck about the football side of things, it will be more of the same please, step up Boozy
smc4761
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:55 pm

If it's Boozy that's it for me.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Red and white hoops » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:23 pm

Thoughts on Stuart Taylor?

Has been at the club previously with Les and co, out of a job at the moment and possibly looking for another management job rather than an assistant again.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Top Cross » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:37 pm

smc4761 wrote:Neil McCann, is he not one of the most hated managers in Scotland

I think that would suit us perfectly!
Top Cross
Pub League

Postby TerracingTomas » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:33 pm

Stuart Taylor I think left the club not on the best of terms with Ronnie and Co so I doubt is a realistic candidate. Personally he would be on my list. Knows the club and is experinenced Would probably be prepared to push yuf.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:48 pm

Yet another example of one who has gone from Accies, left with a bad experience and unlikely to return? From Thomas Cerny right up to Dougie Imrie!

I agree with others with the suggestion of Boozy taking over as manager seems bizarre, where his contribution ,to ensuring constant improvements in our league position, speaks for itself. I also fear that the BOM will be frightened-off financially by many of the supposed candidates salary demands and go, yet again, for the cheap option. It did not pay off in appointing Canning, and is unlikely to be any different in an internal appointment.

There's all the signs of a scatter-gun approach to the start of this season. Releasing Callum Smith for no real reason, a manager signing two players then resigning a couple of weeks later.

If we are to progress, we need a Championship experienced manager. To pluck another inexperienced name from nowhere is almost bound to see us spiralling down the Leagues. A CEO who has admitted to have no interest in football, and seems to be focussed on other matters, is hardly a benefit to Accies at this time.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:47 pm

Latest update on Accies search for a new manager here in an interview with Maitland.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loc ... e-24769175

I like the bit at the end where he says that they got it right with Canning and Rice!,

Anyway as expected the current coaching team are in charge for Saturday and it would come as no surprise if that’s who end up in charge I.e Boozy as head coach and perhaps Easton to step up as player coach.

“While we considered some exciting applications we couldn’t ignore the existing exciting coaches at Hamilton. And anyway we always get it right.”
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:30 pm

TT, the update from Maitland just shows how far out of touch the board are withthe fans

Billy Reid and of course Sir Alex were great appointments but the last 2 have been shambolic. Dreadful football, applaaling win ratio,dwindling crowds and fans being alienated from the board. In what way have the last 2 appointments been successful. Even the most diehard of Accies fans would be hard pushed to put a positive spin on the last 2 appointments
smc4761
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:57 pm

True, SMC, but even Billy Reid ran out of ideas and probably should have been replaced at least a season before he left. Alex was great, but we never had the chance to see whether we would have qualified for European football with him headhunted by Norwich. Both Canning and Rice kept the status quo, where we were always 10th 11th or 12th, so never produced any improvement or positive progress like St Mirren or Livingston.

Maitland is delusional if he thinks the last two manager's appointments were great. Financially, perhaps, for the Club, but in no way progressive. We are where we are because of this, and our bleak financial situation, due to what many have suggested as incompetence in controlling our finances, with six figure scam losses, and little apparent forward planning with the SLC £400K annual lease expiry, is likely to drag us further down the divisions.

Any manager with a previous pedigree of success is likeley to be looking for far more than what Accies can probably afford to pay. Another cheap option seems the likely outcome, and football success a very distant second choice.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Another cheap option seems the likely outcome, and football success a very distant second choice.

That’s what they get if they appoint Boozy, Porcupine. Boozy gets a bump on his salary to be head coach and they make Easton player coach. He’s already on the books but they give him a one year rolling contract so he has a future once he stops playing. They save most of Rice’s salary. They have already offloaded high earners like Callaghan and Odoffin and only this week we lose Marcus to be replaced by his assistant and a volunteer so there’s another salary off the books. The money isn’t there. If Odoffin hadn’t gone No way would we have signed 2 players in the Finn and the Livingston loanee.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:47 pm

Yup, TT, came to the same conclusion at the weekend. Club is between a rock and a hard place again. Can't see anything other than a downward spiral, again.
After what seems to be a predictable appointment, expect to hear the usual guff about smallest budgets/ focus on developing youth/ loyalty to existing staff etc. etc...............

Only upside would be to visit the three grounds now in the Leagues, since we were last in the bottom tier.

Just a thought......what's Eddie Howe doing now after the Celtic debacle? :) :)
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:57 pm

Heard Howe is going to East Kilbride but won’t be available until next summer!!!
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Stodmeister » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:20 am

Think we're really up against it here.

If we do the right thing and appoint a new manager without the Accies connection , I would assume that they may want to bring in someone for their team , thus making Boozy defunct which of course would mean paying him off ,we can't afford to do that.

If we decide that the new manager must keep Boozy then I would imagine that would put off prospective candidates.

If we simply appoint Boozy then it's as you were and we're simply playing lip service to the fans .

Boozy appears to be untouchable and I can't figure out why ,but of course I don't see his day to day contribution.

While Mr.Maitland may say that Accies are an exciting proposition , that may only be the case for managers out of work or who want to take their first step on management ladder. Good managers at other clubs will shy away as basically you need to be a "yes" man, I'm led to believe it's Ronnie's way or no way.

I can't see any experienced managers being appointed and the best I can hope for is taking a punt with Imrie with Daz assisting.
Stodmeister
Championship

Postby smc4761 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:00 pm

porcupine wrote:Yup, TT, came to the same conclusion at the weekend. Club is between a rock and a hard place again. Can't see anything other than a downward spiral, again.
After what seems to be a predictable appointment, expect to hear the usual guff about smallest budgets/ focus on developing youth/ loyalty to existing staff etc. etc...............

Only upside would be to visit the three grounds now in the Leagues, since we were last in the bottom tier.

Just a thought......what's Eddie Howe doing now after the Celtic debacle? :) :)

I found this on a website giving the players wages for last year. These are just the basic wages, no bonus for performance etc. Now if these guys get paid over the full year, for some players that is £50k a year at least.
Our players were by far the worst paid last year. I was surprised at how low wages were at St Johnstone and St Mirren

https://footballleaguefc.com/hamilton-a ... yer-wages/
smc4761
Premiership

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies