Ally Dawson has died--aged 63

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Ally Dawson has died--aged 63

Postby smc4761 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:07 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57974323

Sad to hear of death of Ally Dawson who managed the Accies in 2001 leading us to 3rd division championship

Aged 63 is no age at all. RIP Ally
smc4761
Premiership

Re: Ally Dawson has died--aged 63

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:25 pm

Shocked to hear this. He has a good place in Accies history as manager of title winners.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:27 pm

That’s a real shame, tried his best and got abused by the fans.

Can also remember a game at Forfar away and I’ll be guessing between 2002-2004 and we were i think 3 down and a group of 20-30 fans stood behind the dugout and chanted Dawson Out for what seems an eternity, never been more embarrassed for an Accies fan base as I was that day.

I’m sure all the ones who sang this never make a mistake in their day to day job.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:32 pm

Am I correct in remembering that towards the end of season 2002 when it was obvious that behind the scenes financially the wheels were coming off the cart, cleaners getting let go etc., that the club circulated a letter round the fans at a home game asking us to renew our season tickets well before the season had finished. All the money was going to fund player recruitment it said and they got poor Ally to sign it. Of course it was obvious that Watson and co were desperate for cash and needed to money just to keep going over the close season. And then at the end of the season Ally left to be replaced by Chris Hilcoat presumably another cost saving measure. Seemed a sad end to what had been a reasonably successful spell as manager battling against the odds.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:44 pm

Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:31 am

TerracingTomas wrote:Am I correct in remembering that towards the end of season 2002 when it was obvious that behind the scenes financially the wheels were coming off the cart, cleaners getting let go etc., that the club circulated a letter round the fans at a home game asking us to renew our season tickets well before the season had finished. All the money was going to fund player recruitment it said and they got poor Ally to sign it. Of course it was obvious that Watson and co were desperate for cash and needed to money just to keep going over the close season. And then at the end of the season Ally left to be replaced by Chris Hilcoat presumably another cost saving measure. Seemed a sad end to what had been a reasonably successful spell as manager battling against the odds.

Possibly was 2002. That summer the players weren't being paid and I remember attending a fans meeting at the ground, this was during the World Cup. We raised money for the players and most of them paid it back.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:55 pm

Very sorry to hear this. Gone too soon.

RIP Ally Dawson, Accies legend.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Return to The Accies