Challenge Cup Final Falkirk

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Challenge Cup Final Falkirk

Postby manxaccie » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:14 am

I know this was a diddy cup and I realise this isn't a vintage side and we are also deep in relegation trouble. However, how good was yesterday? I'm 47, I don't live in Hamilton, I never have, but have supported Accies since I was 5. I've seen some good times and some pretty dire times, some promotions and relegations but only two cup final wins in over 40 years! Yesterday I was with my Son - who had barely seen us score a goal, never mind win a game! He absolutely loved it yesterday and I'm sure that's him hooked for life now - just as I hope there's a few more kids now committed to Accies after that. How many times before a big game, live on tv or with a big crowd have the team churned out a rubbish performance and blown it?

As for the game, itself, I thought we started well and looked right up for it. Deservedly took the lead and the game was bubbling away nicely. Refs have a tough job, but before spoiling a cup final was the referee absolutely sure that was a red card? Did he consult with linesman? It looked like he couldn't wait to get the red card out. I've not seen it back so maybe it was deserved? I really like O'Reilly and think he's a solid defender who was playing very well. He is prone to the odd gaff though! The rest of the game was the expected backs to the wall performance and credit to every one of the players out there, particularly after the injuries.

I'm pretty sure all we were asking for before the game was for the players to leave everything out on the pitch, and we certainly can't argue with that. Yes, we carried a bit of luck and Fulton was absolutely unbeatable, but they fought for their lives when everything seemed to be going wrong. It was also amazing to be part of a noisy Accies support, and just how good was that final whistle?

If we can take that effort and commitment into the next few games, I think we will be ok. C'mon Accies!!
manxaccie
Pub League

Postby porcupine » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:49 am

That’s a great post, Manxaccie, and summarises what we all felt at the end. Grown men with tears of joy in their eyes, seeing their underdog team proving they have the tenacity to dig in for 100 minutes and take home their well deserved Winners Medals for their families.

Hopefully, we will see more of the spectator youngsters back at Accies for the rest of the season’s important games. The players now have the evidence to show that they can escape the drop to Div 1 by showing the same level of commitment in those remaining league games.

And if it’s Sheena’s last season as a player, then his performance yesterday was superb and a fitting tribute to his time at Accies from a youngster to now. Well done, Brian!!
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Red and white hoops » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:56 pm

Wow!! Just wow!! More than twenty four hours later and I’m still in disbelief.

We could have let our heads go down after an extremely harsh red but we didn’t and fought for everything and deserved the win.

It’s not fair to pick out individuals but after that Ryan Fulton should be getting a scotland call up. At least four goal saving saves. Sensational performance. Deserves all the credit he’s been getting.
Scott Martin fantastic again. Never stops running and drives the team on again and again.
Big Sheena excellent when he came on too.
But everyone played their part and deserves praise. The team that will go down in history.

Well done to Rankin and Daz. They’ve been criticised and I was surprised by the starting lineup but they were dealt two blows before twenty minutes were through and again at half time and again with Dans red. But they got it all spot on.

Couldn’t help but feel a massive togetherness forming yesterday too. Which will be crucial for the league run in. Fans never stopped backing when the team really needed us. Rankin, Daz and George Cairns geeing up the fans in the last twenty minutes or so and especially last five minutes. Then after the game celebrating at the vaults (and palace I believe too) it really seemed to form a bond between fans, players and staff that we are all together which can only be a good thing. All players have seen themselves exactly what it means to the supporters and what it’s going to mean for us to stay up.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:04 am

Hangover from hell yesterday after celebrating with The Players in The Bay Horse till closing time.I left to go home while the Players...still in their strips all walked down past ML3 Bar hot-footing it to The Palace lol.

Great camaraderie all day and night and celebrations which will be remembered for years to come.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Previous

Return to The Accies